how pissed does it make you...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't read every page, so pardon me if this has been said. But the only thing that bothers me about ads from the big guys is undoing the damage that is colder is better when drinking beer. Yes it is better for their crappy brews, not mine though. Trying to convince someone that not every beer is best at 33 degrees F has proven to be aggravating. Cold is not a flavor, it MASKS flavors!

There. I've said my peace. Cheers!

Agree with me or not, let me ask you this:

What would the beer scene look like if everyone just accepted what was given to them and never questioned if there could be something better? I think having conversations like this is important, wether we agree or not. So although sometimes the discussion can get a little heated, i'm not sorry for asking the question. :mug: cheers

No one is saying you have to "accept what is given you. By all means, go for what you want. that is why we all brew our own, after all. Just don't deride others for their preferences, or deride the products themselves.

I've thought BMC was swill since long before I could actually make anything myself. I understand that it's hard to make, and I understand why someone would want to drink it if they wanted alcohol and didn't actually like beer (the applies mostly to Bud Lite and Coors Light. I don't know anyone who actually drinks regular Bud or regular Coors). But that doesn't mean it's good.

It doesn't mean it is NOT good, either. It just means you don't care for it. That's ok. No one says you have to drink it. Just don't be rude or condescending about it. Gawd, I hate snobbery of any kind.

It doesn't mean it is NOT good, either. It just means you don't care for it. That's ok. No one says you have to drink it. Just don't be rude or condescending about it. Gawd, I hate snobbery of any kind.

No, what makes it not good is that it just isn't good.

/objectiveaestheticfacts'd

+1 million.... Why can't folks just say, "hey it's not my cup of tea" and leave it at that. What does it have to go to the level of bashing it and the drinkers of it, for choosing it?

I don't like rice adjuncted light lagers, or rice adjuncted lagers in general, not because they're BMC, or made by the "evil empire" and I'm "better" than those folks that drink it, but because they contain rice. So I don't like bud, bud light or sapporo for instance. But if other folks do, it's their choice. If that's all that's available, I'll drink wine or mixed drinks.

But I know why I don't like them, not 'cause it's the beersnob/homebrewer thing to do....And I don't look down on the folks who choose to drink them.

BUT, if they have Sam Adam's or Guinness, or an "MC" beer that is corn adjuncted, such as Miller, or Michelob, or more than likely here in Michigan Labatt's (like when I'm at a hockey game,) and if I'm in the mood for a beer, then I'll have that.

So trying various "Lagers" including those from microbreweries, I made a list of the ones I hated and the ones that were ok; trying to figure out why I liked some and not the others. Finding out that I like corn adjuncted lagers and not rice ones like sapporo and bud.

Millers, Michelob, Labatts, PBR, Strohs, Schlitz, I will drink, and many like Strohs and pabsts (the original 70's recipes I will actually buy and enjoy...to me te two main bud products just taste horrible to me.

I really like Labatt's blue.

One of our members just brought me a mixed case of Yuengling's, both the "traditional lager" and the Lord Chesterfield's ale. And the Lager is actually darker than the ale. And it is full of flavor.

A snob looks down on or judges what other folks drink. Or avoid certain beers, not because simply they don't like the taste, but for other reasons.

Even after all the years brewing and especially drinking craft and imported beers since 1986, the best beer I ever had was ice cold Negra Modelo Especial bought for probably a dime a bottle in 2001, in Ensenada Mexico, and drank on a Sandbar in mexico with fish tacos where the fish was caught and fried within a half hour after is was pulled out of the bay. With a simple wedge of lime for both.

I also can't stand wheat beers, microbrewed or otherwise. They're just not my cup of tea....But I don't bash folks who like THOSE beers either....

There's a difference between saying something is good and saying it's okay to drink or that you shouldn't look down on someone who drinks it.

There are objective aesthetic values. But just because it's objectively aesthetically valuable doesn't mean you have to like it. For instance, I don't much care for Mozart. I can listen to Mozart and understand what's good about his music, but I just don't like it that much. I prefer Beethoven or Chopin. Hell, I often prefer Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and I know that they're objectively not good. But they're still fun, so I listen.

One can say BMC isn't good without looking down on people who drink it.

It IS an evil empire that stopped caring about the consumer a long time ago and now only cares for shareholders and profit margins. I like a good American lager, like Boulevard Pilsner or even a Schlitz, but I vote with my dollars and I simply don't vote for what I feel are bad business practices.

On a lighter note, my first homebrewed pilsner is bubbling away in my newly rigged cold fermentation chamber! Pretty stoked on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
What? Mozart is the SHIZZZ!:p

My brother tells me the same thing all the time. But most of the classical music I listen to is solo piano (although I do love Beethoven's 7th), and the instrument wasn't really developed when Mozart was composing.

when you see these big beer company ads on TV talking about "triple hops brewed, vortex bottle, never watered down...bull**** bull**** bull****" ughh every time I see one now days it just makes me angry!

nope...makes me laugh :D

Interesting thread. Although the OP was making a point about the advertising aspects, I gotta go a little off topic as the conversation has really shifted to more of a BMC v everything else thing.

I was really surprised by all the BMC hate when I was first researching how to brew. I had to google BMC, lol. For me (and I'm definitely no beer snob), it's all about refining your taste and really finding out what you like. From the time I was 18-21, I would just drink the cheapest stuff. Then I decided I liked budweiser more than Natty. After another year, I decided I liked high life more. Then I thought Corona and Dos were better. Finally, I tried a Fat Tire one day and that really got me excited. Six months later, I'm brewing my own. Bottom line .. whatever you like to drink, you like to drink. It's all beer, and I'm certainly not going to look down on anyone else for liking what they like.

Here's to BEER! :mug:

It's all beer, and I'm certainly not looking to go down on anyone else for liking what they like.

Here's to BEER! :mug:

Sorry.....FIXED! lol.

Maybe the problem is that the BMC crowd doesn't just say "I prefer the taste of (insert urine of your choice) after trying stone's beers and a few other craft beers. I just like (urine) better!

They exclaim how crazy it is that you drink that bitter or Dark, or sour, or whatever stuff.

it is like me saying "I just love plain oatmeal! it tastes gud!" and refusing to taste any other kind of breakfast.

It really is alarming the number on this board who know what pi $ s tastes like..or know enough of urine's flavor to compare it to light lager.

Hugh_Jass said:
It really is alarming the number on this board who know what pi $ s tastes like..or know enough of urine's flavor to compare it to light lager.

You can drink your urine seven times before it's poisonous, also it is a good source of nitrogen.

You can drink your urine seven times before it's poisonous, also it is a good source of nitrogen.

Unless you are drinking coors, because the elephants have drank their own urine at least 3 times before pissing out a silver bullet, so you can only drink coors and then drink your own urine 3 or 4 times MAX.

Chill out dude. I am a skilled troller here. Is there anything new that can be said? I think not.

In reality, is it urine? No. Do I kill someone for drinking a silver bullet, cold as the rockies and cold filtered? No. I only kill people who drink Miller ultra because it is DISGUSTINGLY undrinkable to humans. So I know that they are not human.

This is a little off topic, more n the advertising side. Years ago when I was working in meat processing I can can remember days where I woud spend a whole day just making one thing, ex. Chicken nuggets . The packaging dept would take the nuggets that where all madr following the same recipe and packaging them as 3 different brands with different prices at the grocery store . Even had one of swmbo friend arguing with me thst brand a was so much better than brand b, even though I told her that the only difference was the box they were put in. evem after I told her I made those exact ones .

Back