Next Batch Yeast/Supplemental Hops Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atbump

Reaction score
I'm starting my 4th home brew with a whole new setup and I'm looking to start changing things around. For this brew I'm going to stop using cheap yeast and move over to White Labs California Ale or US-05. I also have some leftover Amarillo and Cascade hops and I'm looking to brew a potent IPA with a nice balance of NW pine/grapefruit hops and some tropical tasting hops (like the tropical notes I pick up in Pliny). Any recommendations between the two yeasts and supplemental hops for this type of hop bill?

Either yeast is a good choice for show casing the hop flavor and aromas.

The new Zealand hop variates have some tropical fruit notes to them.
http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/aroma_hops.html

Motueka:

This hop represents a triploid substitute for the traditional Saaz. Its unique Saaz-like flavour, with a New Zealand twist, has made this hop very sought after by both craft and larger international brewers. Motueka has created a unique citrus flavour in several beer styles. Motueka data sheet
Riwaka:

Developed at the same time as the Motueka, from similar parentage. This Saaz type distinguishes itself with delicate citrus and passionfruit aromas. Similar to Motueka, but with a subtle difference. With a small but growing production, this very sought after variety has a dedicated following making pre-ordering essential for Riwaka. Riwaka data sheet
Pacifica:

This triploid has been bred from the famous Hallertau Mittlefruh hop variety and retains a similar oil profile. Like its parent Hallertau Mittlefruh, it has a clean floral aroma with a slight cinnamon-like spiciness, imparting a smooth bouquet with mild buttery notes, as found in classic European lagers. Pacifica data sheet

I had some great luck finding Citra hops and I'm almost thinking about doing a SMaSH with these since they sound so good but possibly using the rest of the hops to dry hop. Any recommendations with the Cascade/Amarillo? Thanks a lot you guys!

Latest posts

Back