Yeast dilema

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampDonkey

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first AG beer today, american cream ale, things are going okay considering this is my test run of my equipment, only had to make a few changes. My problem is I ordered my grains and yeast 3 months ago, I thought i was getting dry yeast but ended up getting wyeast british ale 2 liquid yeast and has been stored at room temp for the last 3 months. I would assume this yeast has gone bad. I don't have access to any yeast other than mail order, 2-3 days. I also have a dry yeast pouch from a extract beer kit, canadian lite beer. An other option is to use a previously brewed extract beer that I brewed 3 months ago. Which yeast should I use?

You can make a starter with the liquid to proof it...... Dry yeast should also be refrigerated... as for the 3rd option, are you refereing to a yeast cake that has been in the fermenter for 3 months? That seems a bit old to me....

your best bet is probably to pitch the dry yeast unless you can make a starter to proof the liquid yeast.

Since my wort is already boiling, I probably don't have time to do a starter, how long could I leave the beer before pitching the yeast.

I don't know what you did. I think it is too late to activate the liquid yeast, it can take from several hours to a week to swell up depending on the health of the yeast, and from what you have said, I suspect it's in bad shape.

You should use the dry yeast to save the beer.

Save the liquid yeast for your next beer. Activate it a week (or more) before you want to use it. I expect it is still good, but the cell count will be down, which will result in a very slow activation. You should also be prepared to make up a starter when the pack has swelled.

ALWAYS keep a spare pack of a 'good' dry yeast on hand in case of an emergency like this. I keep a couple of packs of Nottingham just for this reason. It's cheap, clean, can ferment at low temps if necessary, and is a high attenuating yeast in case of a stuck fermentation.

Back