San Antonio Brewers - Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrManTX

Reaction score
My question is to any folks here in San Antonio.. What are your thoughts on brewing with the local tap water? Also, would you trust any of those drive-up water refill machines?
BTW.. Racked my first beer on Saturday. Very excited.
Thanks!
-Jason

my question is, how do you keep your fermenting cycle at 68-70'F in this damn Texas heat?

My house usually stays around 73'F

I've been having to crank the AC down to 69 because my second floor heats up like a mo-fo. I keep my fermenter on the first floor in at around 69-70. The AC bill's gonna be a little more, but the beer should be worth it :D It's all about sacrifice for the greater good! :mug:

But the Water here in the South Ft. Worth area (about and hour south) is nice!
We get our water from the Edwards Aquifer, so I'm not sure if they chlorinate the hell out of it, or what they do. I do know that when I lived in the county, and going through the county's water system, that when I'd put water in the fridge overnight the next day my fridge would smell like a public swimming pool.

I live in San Antonio and while I don't have the years of experience that some do with home brewing, I've had great results with the water. I just hit the HEB and get the bottled drinking water in 1 gallon jugs. It's just bottled tap water sourced locally. I don't want all the micro nutrients filtered out and it's easy to measure. I trust the sanitation of the factories a lot more than the pipes in my apt.

As for keeping it cool, you'll see the suggestion on here time and time again to get something like a large Rubbermaid organizing bin, fill it half way or so with water and put your fermenter in it. I usually re-use a half gallon or gallon jug of applejuice from my Apfelwein and freeze it full of water then drop one or two in the bin to keep it cold. Sure, it's not an exact control mechanism but it works in small spaces or with small budgets.

I live in San Antonio and while I don't have the years of experience that some do with home brewing, I've had great results with the water. I just hit the HEB and get the bottled drinking water in 1 gallon jugs. It's just bottled tap water sourced locally. I don't want all the micro nutrients filtered out and it's easy to measure. I trust the sanitation of the factories a lot more than the pipes in my apt.

As for keeping it cool, you'll see the suggestion on here time and time again to get something like a large Rubbermaid organizing bin, fill it half way or so with water and put your fermenter in it. I usually re-use a half gallon or gallon jug of applejuice from my Apfelwein and freeze it full of water then drop one or two in the bin to keep it cold. Sure, it's not an exact control mechanism but it works in small spaces or with small budgets.

Hey Neomich!
Thanks for the info! I think with my next batch I'll just use SA's tap water. I think it should be OK unless I hear something different.
Maybe we'll run across one-another at an event or something.
See ya'!
-Jason

Back