Amature hour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepchenko

Reaction score
Having tasted my first batch of coppers Canadian blonde, I'm gutted, didn't have great hopes for my first brew but I thought the beer would have been better. It was flat, the beer was ok, obsolutly no head.followed the basic instructions. Was wondering if I just went wrong when adding the right amount of carbonation drops when bottling. Or is homebrewing a lot harder than I thought. Is there a brewing kit anyone could recommend for my second try?

How long has it been bottled, and at what temperature.
It needs about 3 weeks at about 70F to develop carbonation. Some beers may carbonate a bit faster, and others take a bit longer.

-a.

It's been two weeks. Might have to keep a better eye on the temperatures, was inbetween 16/ 22 degrees.

Give it longer. Some beers just take longer than others to carb. The lower your ambient temperature the longer it will take.

What everyone else said. I only use coopers carb drops. I flip the bottles upside down and then back right side up after about a week. Seems to help with carbonation, or it could just be a silly superstition I have. Two weeks is just a bit early. I had an IPA that took over 5 weeks to carb up correctly.

I swear by Coopers Carbs drops now. My oatmeal stout that scored a 42 at the NHC had perfect carbonation and I used them in it.

If your biggest complaint is the carbonation level, I'd say that's a pretty successful first brew. Don't get discouraged - the more you learn, the easier it gets - and HBT is a good place to learn.

The Cooper's PET bottles will take two of their carb drops. 12oz'rs will take one. And def give'em at least 3 weeks at 70F or so to carb up & condition. Then 1 to 2 weeks fridge time to get the co2 in the head space into solution. It's not a quick process. 2 weeks gives thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.
Also,the quicker you chill the hot wort down to 70F or so,the less chill haze you'll get at fridge time.:mug:

Back