Ready for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underkid22

Reaction score
I brewed my first extract kit almost two weeks ago.
Must I wait to hit my final gravity before racking to secondary or can I go ahead and do it now?
Airlock is bubbling once every 20 seconds.
Thanks for the help!

Alot of folks on here, including myself, will tell you to leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle/keg. No need for a secondary unless your adding fruit or other additions, IMO.

If you want to use a secondary, then NO do not transfer it now. wait until final gravity is reached.

If you are going to do a seconday you should make sure you hit your estimated FG before you rack. After 2 weeks you should be close, but I would also second skipping the secondary and going with a longer primary. I've been doing it for almost a year and can say that I've never had any problems with clarity because of it, plus there's the added advantage of not having to worry about potential contamination while racking. Whatever you do, make sure you have fun doing it! Welcome to the hobby!!

Back