quick question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey I'm on my second 5 gal batch but with this one I just bought a 6.5 gal carboy for primary... my question is what is the easiest way to take a sample from the carboy. the ale pale I was using before had a bottom drain. any ideas?

by the way I just bottled the first batch yesterday a red ale - I couldn't resist tasting a little bit of it ;) . once its carbed it should be good.

If you absolutely must take a sample from the Carboy, I'd say turkey baster is your best bet. If your baster is too short, then rig up some plastic tubing to the end of the baster to make it longer... if the tubing won't fit over the end of the baster, then pull the squeezy rubber part off the stem of the turkey baster, yank your carboy plug and stick it into the squeezy thing, then stick your tubing into the hole on the carboy plug... that might work.... but I'd agree with the others... wait for secondary rack!

hey I'm on my second 5 gal batch but with this one I just bought a 6.5 gal carboy for primary... my question is what is the easiest way to take a sample from the carboy. the ale pale I was using before had a bottom drain. any ideas?

by the way I just bottled the first batch yesterday a red ale - I couldn't resist tasting a little bit of it ;) . once its carbed it should be good.

You could use a beer thief.. They are cheap, easy to sterilize, and work well.. Turkey basters are almost always too short unless you have a full 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. I take readings from my primary to make sure all fermentation is over before I rack to the 2ndary. If you are sanitary and are reasonably certain that you your wort is fermented, (ie, there is alcohol present) then you should be ok
:fro:

Back