Looking for a really low false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwizard0

Reaction score
Am in the process of updating my stuff. I mostly do 5 gallon batches but I want to get a big enough setup to do 10 or more. I was thinking of getting 20 gallon pots and doing an e-herms. With all that said, most of the false bottoms leave a lot of dead space underneath. Does anyone have any idea where to get one? Right now I don't have a pot chosen, but I was looking at the polar ware or something similar. Thanks for the help

Do you worry about it shifting while stirring in a larger pot? The 20 gallon kettles are around 20"

I have a slightly different situation, but I made my false bottom from tubing by drilling holes in it and coiling it on the bottom of my mash tun like an eye on an electric stove. Make sure the tubing is made to handle hot or cold water, some is for cold only. I made the mash ton by putting a drain on the bottom of a plastic 50 gal drum and piping the false bottom into it. It works great for batches from 10gal to 40gal. I insulated it by wrapping it with moving blankets and string. These drums can usually be found for 15-30 dollars. (Make sure you find out what the drum was used for, you do not want one that held anything toxic) I found some that were used to transport solid plastic pellets used in injection molding.

I have picks at.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151116200533647.431141.631263646&type=3

Friend if you can not see them.

Do you worry about it shifting while stirring in a larger pot? The 20 gallon kettles are around 20"

Between the grain bed holding it down and the silicone tubing holding it in place we've heard of no issues. Plus even if it shifts the domed feature keeps it pressed against the bottom keeping the 'seal'.

Back