Briess vs. MF Dry Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9000 watts

Reaction score
I am shopping for good DME prices in order to minimize my wifes furry. I always buy bulk DME and Briess ($2.34/lb) is cheaper then MF ($2.62). I have had good results with MF in rhe past and have never used Briess as a base malt.

Can anyone give me feedback on Briess DME? I am particularly concerned about residual sweetness.

malkore said:
Briess is good stuff.

Ditto. I really like the Briess and since it is domestic I figure its probably fresher.

BTW aren't we supposed to maximize the wife's "furry"?:cross:

Regards,
Al

My brewpartner and I just bought 50# of Briess pilsen light and golden light DME and had the same questions you did. We weren't really sure what the difference taste and result-wise would be, but for color (etc) the Briess and M&F were the same. I recall the M&F color ratings were in a different scale, but when converting them they came out with 1 unit.

I don't know for sure, but I hope there is fairly little difference (since we've got 100# of domestic malt...). I suspect that unless you lined the two up side-by-side it would be tough to tell. Besides, since we're extract brewing it's already going to taste different than all-grain.

BTW how are you storing your bulk DME? We got some buckets from Home Depot (with nice gasketed lids). It was two buckets for a 50# bag.

Back