CO2 tank hydro test?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrakeleyBrewing

Reaction score
My friend has an aluminum 20lb CO2 tank that he wants to get rid of. I'm pretty sure the stamp for the hydro test is 2004, meaning it needed to be retested in 2009. Are the tests expensive? Does this mean the tank is pretty much junk? If so, and it's full, maybe I will offer him a few bucks just for the CO2.

It's usually around $20 for a retest. So it's well worth it. Even a small 5 lb tank is $50 new

If it is holding pressure it will pass the test. I had a bunch that were about 10 years past their inspection date and all still had gas. I sold most of them full but with no current test. Not one individual told me they did not pass. Most places just exchange and don't even look at the test date.

If it is holding pressure it will pass the test. I had a bunch that were about 10 years past their inspection date and all still had gas. I sold most of them full but with no current test. Not one individual told me they did not pass. Most places just exchange and don't even look at the test date.

Thanks, good call on the exchange. I guess I would try that first.

i have a old 5 pounder that has surface rust on it. it holds pressure just fine but couldn't understand the marks on the tank and thought it should be re hyrdo am i correct for wanting this done? Also does anyone know where it can be done in pa im near uniontown pa so it would need to be near there or Pittsburgh. thx I can get a new tank for 65 but dont need to if the old one works just fine but was curious since im building a kegerator out of a old ge fridge.

ijust had a 20lb tank from 1978 (no kidding) just had it retested for 18 and filled for 20 here in denver.
the guy told me he sees tanks much older then mine

If it is holding pressure it will pass the test.

That is not true. A hydrotest fills the tank with water and checks how much the tank expands under pressure. If it expands too much it will fail but it may still capable of holding pressure. The idea is to prevent it from failing under pressure.

Tanks decades old can still pass the test.

I started using a new guy at a welding shop. His fill tank was empty so he exchanged all my tanks(2-5's and 1-20) for $48. Including the 20# that hydro was expired at no extra charge. I was happy cause my old guy was gonna charge $75 with the new hydro.

That is not true. A hydrotest fills the tank with water and checks how much the tank expands under pressure. If it expands too much it will fail but it may still capable of holding pressure. The idea is to prevent it from failing under pressure.

Tanks decades old can still pass the test.

Almost true. I used to hydrotest CO2 tanks (and other high pressure tanks like scuba tanks) back in the '70's in FL for a fire extinguisher company.

A hydro test procedure is to fill the tank with water, stick the tank in a closed water vessel so you can measure the tank volume before and after pressurization. Pressurize the tank, measure the volume the tank expanded, then depressurize.

After depressurization, measure the tank volume again and ensure the new volume is not more X% (don't recall the exact number, but I think it was 10% but don't hold me to it) over the original. Essentially you are measuring the ductility of the tank material.

I personally tested tanks that were dated back in the 10's and 20's and tested just fine. The scariest tanks were the aluminum scuba tanks where you would pressurize and watch the volume keep rising once you reached test pressure - indicating the tank was getting ready to blow.

We tested all failed tanks twice (unless it's one that keeps expanding) because we had to permanently mark the tank and it's usually a big expense to replace them. Customers were never happy when we told them their tanks failed... especially if they were planning a big scuba vacation or whatever. :(

However, getting to the issue at hand: I've both leased and owned high pressure C25 bottles for the past 12 years. In both cases, the refill companies just exchange the bottles, they don't care about hydro testing dates and what not. Even my "owned" tank gets replaced when I need it refilled, which is just peachy-kean for me - never have to worry about paying for a hydro or worse - a failed tank.

I know this is an old thread but...

I have a 20# tank thats just about empty and was last tested in 1996.... the first test was in 1933!!

I just picked up a craigslist kegerator and two aluminum 5# tanks for 130 bucks.(from a member here no less)..The tanks are expired and the kegerator needed the relay to be removed and contacts inside cleaned but its good to go now...
I have a small collection of expired paintball tanks and old rusty steel tanks most of which are not yet empty.

I have a 20# tank thats just about empty and was last tested in 1996.... the first test was in 1933!!

I use Airgas here and they just exchange so you pay for the gas and they give you a tank that is current

they even take soda CO2 tanks with the plastic bottoms which no one here will hydro and exchange

they charge 20 dollars for 20 pounds

all the best

S_M

Back