Maltodextrin addition calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattleskindoc

Reaction score
Hi everyone - check my math before I wreck my beer...

Here is the situation. I've got an AG IPA based on the 'Dankness' recipe running around on the web. Mashed at what I thought was 152, ended up with OG of 1.075 (I added some brown sugar to push the fermentable sugars up).

Used Mr. Malty and pitched 2 Wyeast 1056 smackpacks in a 2 L stirplate starter. A ripping fermentation started at 10 hours and slowed 5 days later. I checked a gravity reading (refractometer) and got 1.008 (!?WTF)

The sample tasted very dry, thin, not infected, with lots of hops. I pulled the carboy out of the fermentation area and put it in the fridge at 35F to slow fermentation.

Now I'm contemplating what to do....I'd like to add some Malotodextrin (8 oz) for a 5 gallon patch to push gravity up to 1.012 - at 40 ppg, this math seems to make sense.

I think I can add this boiled Maltodextrin to the carboy now, and then start dry hopping, per my original plan.

I think the source of my error was inaccurate thermometer calibration - basically getting temps that are higher than actual- so more attenuatable wort. I suck. Ditching the digital thermometer and going back to old school glass lab thermometer.

Back