Crazy Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseRYC

Reaction score
So last night I brewed a dunkelweizen (similar to arkador's recipe) and used wyeast 1010 American wheat. Today, upon getting home from school, there was insanely active fermentation taking place. This does not concern me as I used a blowoff. However, what did concern me was that there was beer on the sides of my bucket under the lid. I am concerned because I checked the lid and blowoff and all of it was still completely sealed and secure. Anyone have any ideas of how the beer got out from inside the bucket? Thanks for any possible input and help.

More than likely the lid to your fermenter isn't totally water/airtight and pressure from fermentation forced it out the side. Probably nothing to worry about.

Ok cool. I was just worried bcuz if things can come out then I was worried that air could get in.

Ok cool. I was just worried bcuz if things can come out then I was worried that air could get in.

No worries here mate, even if air could overcome the pressure of fermentation and get in your fermentor, there is still a layer of co2 on top of the beer protecting it from the air, people do "open" fermentations all the time. co2 is heavier than air.

You'd have to dump all your beer out after fermentation is complete and swirl it around and stir it to get any air on/in it, which I don't recommend:D

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

Back