Milling Small Grains (Quinoa, Millet, Amaranth)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mloster

Reaction score
So I slowly moving into all grain gluten free brewing doing BIAB. I was wondering how anyone mills quinoa or millet without turning it into flour. It's already so ridiculously small. I was thinking of using a cup or so at a time in a food processor and just bursting it several times. Any other suggestions? I'm doing about 9 lbs, so I was looking for a reasonably efficient method.

Yeah, I've thought about the mortar and pestle, but for 9 lbs of grains I'd have to start about a week in advance haha

If you are doing BIAB, there is no issue of a stuck mash. So, while you don't want flour, you could still try to crush the grains with a barley crusher/moster mill/whatever by setting the crush fine enough to break the grain shell, but not quite flour?

a corona style mill will make flour, so I imagine you could back off a little bit and be OK..

I never had much luck with a food processor or blender. Because there are no husks, I ground until it looks like flour, add rice hulls and put everything into a paint strainer bag. I have tried using a coffee grinder, which works takes a while. Now I'm using a corona mill with the stone plates.

Back