Solar Electric Panels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
I've gotten a wild hair lately about solar electric panels. I want to do something about my PG&E bill and make a statement at the same time.
I've done some research into building my own and it doesn't seem that difficult, just a little time consuming.
Has anyone here actually done this?

I haven't, but before my SWMBO nixed my plan, I was going to install panels and a grid-tie in inverter. You can find panels really cheap if you search. You can find them cheap enough that it's totally not worth the time to make your own (IMO). With the tax credit and PG&E credit, ability to sell back to the grid and of course the statement, now is a sweet time!!! I'm bummed I wasn't able to, but I hope you figure out a way to go solar.

I've done a lot of reading/research on the subject myself.

It's all interesting until you get to the battery disposal issue.

It's similar to the article comparing the Prius to a Hummer. The gist of the article was that from cradle to grave the Hummer is the cheaper of the two.

It seems the battery replacement and disposal are the parts that'll cost you in the end.

If I were to do it I would think about not having any batteries to worry about. Of course, selling electricity back to the grid would be non-existent.

It's also my understanding that what you sell back is purchased at wholesale prices which is about 25% of what they sell it for. In the end they're making $.75 on the dollar for doing nothing.

I've done a lot of reading/research on the subject myself.

It's all interesting until you get to the battery disposal issue.

It's similar to the article comparing the Prius to a Hummer. The gist of the article was that from cradle to grave the Hummer is the cheaper of the two.

It seems the battery replacement and disposal are the parts that'll cost you in the end.

If I were to do it I would think about not having any batteries to worry about. Of course, selling electricity back to the grid would be non-existent.

It's also my understanding that what you sell back is purchased at wholesale prices which is about 25% of what they sell it for. In the end they're making $.75 on the dollar for doing nothing.

Yeah, That's a big down fall to going OFF GRID. I am thinking about staying on grid but building enough panels to turn my meter back wards most of the time. That way I Can still feel like I'm sticking it to PG&E. If they ever have to pay me, I'll be happy. :)

Back