Beer fountain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshman

Reaction score
So, I brewed a Belgian style wheat a few months ago...20 days in primary (a little long, I suspect), 6 weeks in secondary, two months in bottle. I bottled 3 gallons of brew in 750 ml bottles with @ 12 oz beet sugar, dissolved and boiled for 10 minutes. Opened the first one last weekend at a friends house and it went straight up. When it finally petered out, we had @ 4 ozs of beer left. The beer was probably @ 55 degrees, and though it had been in my car for a while, it hadn't been rolling around. I suspect chilling it would reduce the effect, but I don't like my beers real cold, nor do I think a Belgian should be chilled, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea why this happenned?

The beer tasted fine, at least the little I got, so it hadn't gone critical in some freaky fashion...

Luckily, we were in his kitchen, right next to the sink. The portions that hit the floor was lapped up by the dog with little complaint.

I don't know the effect of beet sugar compared to corn sugar but 12 0z. sounds is a lot. I'm wondering if that is the problem.

I think, seriously over-primed. You used four ounces (beet sugar = sucrose) per gallon, where 1-2 per gallon is more typical.

I don't have the package anymore, but I thought it said that I should use 1 lb per 5 gallons. I'll have to check the package next time I hit the LHBS.

But, yeah, if that's the sityeeashun, I am quite glad there were no bombs.

Ouch. 2.5 volumes of CO2 in 3 gallons is 2.43 ounces corn sugar. Corn sugar is dextrose, or glucose. Beet sugar is sucrose, which is glucose and fructose linked by (I believe), a condensation bond.

I have no idea how much sucrose = how much dextrose though....but I agree 12 oz sounds like a lot.

Back