This forum seems to be getting bit$chy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this thread with a rant and ah crap here's another.

I=E/R. Ohms law. Very basic I know.

One day, my coworkers and I (Navy men) who at the time lived on a small coral reef in the Indian Ocean called Diego Garcia received a visit from the the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. (MCPON)

During a mandatory sit-down with him, question and talk time came. A colleague who I have to admit was drunk, brought up the fact that the electronic schools were not teachinig Ohms law..he went on to expand they were not being taught the basics.

The MCPON didn't have much of a response at all. He obviously saw the man asking the question was a bit intoxicated so he changed the subject.

But my friend did make a good point; Basics are no longer being taught.. at least in Navy schools. Computers based training, and the ever perfect Built in Test (BIT) systems will fix whatever is broke.

Don't worry about how something works, don't even learn about it because very little effort using somebody else's knowledge and a built in test feature will repair and return the broken product quickly.

Theory of operation, system knowledge based on technical skills have been lost.... I'm only speaking about Naval Aviation
[/B]
Glad I'm old enough to have been taught the basics, even if I don't remember them all now.

Second rant over. :mug:

I started this thread with a rant and ah crap here's another.

I=E/R. Ohms law. Very basic I know.

One day, my coworkers and I (Navy men) who at the time lived on a small coral reef in the Indian Ocean called Diego Garcia received a visit from the the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. (MCPON)

During a mandatory sit-down with him, question and talk time came. A colleague who I have to admit was drunk, brought up the fact that the electronic schools were not teachinig Ohms law..he went on to expand they were not being taught the basics.

The MCPON didn't have much of a response at all. He obviously saw the man asking the question was a bit intoxicated so he changed the subject.

But my friend did make a good point; Basics are no longer being taught.. at least in Navy schools. Computers based training, and the ever perfect Built in Test (BIT) systems will fix whatever is broke.

Don't worry about how something works, don't even learn about it because very little effort using somebody else's knowledge and a built in test feature will repair and return the broken product quickly.

Theory of operation, system knowledge based on technical skills have been lost.... I'm only speaking about Naval Aviation
[/B]
Glad I'm old enough to have been taught the basics, even if I don't remember them all now.

Second rant over. :mug:

You are most definitely correct my friend. It's funny you mention the Navy schools, because my refrigeration/hvac teacher in high school used to tell us that the Navy was the best place to learn refrigeration and electronics. I guess things changed after 24 years! I also agree that people rely way too much on digital/electronic memory these days instead of using their own minds! People such as ourselves should be considered artisans, as we are a dying breed! What I want to know is... What are all of the 20somethings going to do when cell phones all die some day?! (Sorry, 20somethings! No offense!)..............

I think that like every damn forum on the internet, this one suffers from the same problems as many others.

Having been a home brewer for 10 years and having 10,000 posts does not give you the right to be a self righteous ****** bag. If you cannot walk into a thread asking for help and answer the damn question, you should walk the **** away. It isn't complicated.

If you can't answer the question without removing your head from your ass, you should also walk away. A few posters in particular have this almost cult like following, only encouraging their ******-bagginess. I think sometimes these people need to just take a break, leave the forum for a month or two, and come back ready to not be a prick.

People come into advice threads and while they might answer the question, they do it in such standoffish ways that it is a wash, at best. We're all supposed to be here for the same reason. If you need to get into a dumb, disrespectful argument with random strangers, step away from the keyboard and go to a biker bar.

/rant

flame suit on.

btw, sorry for re-derailing this thread back on topic..... ;) I only read through 4 pages of drivel before I posted.

I must have missed something. Where did this come from??????

You are most definitely correct my friend. It's funny you mention the Navy schools, because my refrigeration/hvac teacher in high school used to tell us that the Navy was the best place to learn refrigeration and electronics. I guess things changed after 24 years! I also agree that people rely way too much on digital/electronic memory these days instead of using their own minds! People such as ourselves should be considered artisans, as we are a dying breed! What I want to know is... What are all of the 20somethings going to do when cell phones all die some day?! (Sorry, 20somethings! No offense!)..............

Thank you for the kind words.

I have no idea what they'll do. Got to admit I use a cell phone too. It doesn't take picture, text or have WW access. But is good to have.

Navy schools use to be very good. Things change. As far as cell phones go? If the cellular market comes to an end for some unknown reason, maybe we'll all have to become familiar with land line party lines!

thread is growing so i will repeat:
i love cats, i love every kind of...
im kidding but the whole discussion about electricians and contractors reminded me about great book Fountainhead, ischa, staubfiber and rest, read it its just great book

I've read Fountainhead. It's about an architect, not an electrician. Yeah, great book. And atlas shrugged of course.

Frankly, I don't think that problem is limited to Navy schools, or even to technical subjects. I have a child in the 4th grade and one in the 6th grade, and I have been astonished at times at how little attention is paid to simple things like penmanship (a brief time in second grade), or memorizing the multiplication tables (a brief time in 3rd grade).

At the risk of sounding like the old fart that I am, when I was in school, every class room had a chart of the letters in cursive above the chalkboard. We were instructed in the third grade, and required to write in cursive until well into junior high school and high school, when papers had to be typed.

We all carried Pee Chee's (folders, for you young'uns) that had the multiplication tables up to 12 and various other important mathematical rules on the inside flaps, and drawings of impossibly wholesome athletic students on the outside. We were constantly tested on basic math skills even up into the 7th and 8th grade, regardless of what "level" you were at.

Technology is a wonderful thing, but it has also given us too many shortcuts and makes us lazy. My 9 year old daughter is convinced that she doesn't need to learn math because she can use a calculator.

Stauffbier said:
People such as ourselves should be considered artisans, as we are a dying breed! What I want to know is... What are all of the 20somethings going to do when cell phones all die some day?! (Sorry, 20somethings! No offense!)..............

I'm a just barely 30 something, but I have the same concern. As a machinist, I've seen literally hundreds of kids come through the shop in the last 12 years, with almost none of them showing any interest for the trade.
I think it's because of the mix of skills you need to do this type of work. You need to be both intelligent, and also able to stand, lift, and have a measure of physical aptitude. Most of the guys we get are either 1. Well intentioned dumbasses, or 2. Semi intelligent but lazy. I think this has as much to do with the loss of manufacturing jobs as anything.

If you see issues or a "Google it" threads forming, flag it.

That's the quickest way to stop it and help new brewers get into brewing without the vitriol.

frankly, i don't think that problem is limited to navy schools, or even to technical subjects. I have a child in the 4th grade and one in the 6th grade, and i have been astonished at times at how little attention is paid to simple things like penmanship (a brief time in second grade), or memorizing the multiplication tables (a brief time in 3rd grade).

At the risk of sounding like the old fart that i am, when i was in school, every class room had a chart of the letters in cursive above the chalkboard. We were instructed in the third grade, and required to write in cursive until well into junior high school and high school, when papers had to be typed.

We all carried pee chee's (folders, for you young'uns) that had the multiplication tables up to 12 and various other important mathematical rules on the inside flaps, and drawings of impossibly wholesome athletic students on the outside. We were constantly tested on basic math skills even up into the 7th and 8th grade, regardless of what "level" you were at.

Technology is a wonderful thing, but it has also given us too many shortcuts and makes us lazy. My 9 year old daughter is convinced that she doesn't need to learn math because she can use a calculator.

+1

Hey Stauffbier!

Sorry this thread dropped to the bottom of the bucket like some yeast flocculate after fermenting.

I got to admit I set it off topic a bit and it was nice. I sure did appreciate your comment though my friend!

If you see issues or a "Google it" threads forming, flag it.

That's the quickest way to stop it and help new brewers get into brewing without the vitriol.

There's at least 100 threads about the exact same topic. Use the search function, noob :p

It's been raining and chilly here today. I'm making some hamhocks and white bean soup and (oops) package mixed cornbread.

Hey! Stauffbier and Pappy nice to see you guys.

Good to see you too buddy! What's pouring today (besides the rain)??

It's been raining and chilly here today. I'm making some hamhocks and white bean soup and (oops) package mixed cornbread.

That sounds really good! I grilled some steaks and dogs. Drinkin' an O'Hara's Irish Stout. I found a 4 pack on sale for $6.50.. I had never heard of it before. It's pretty tasty!

Usually soak overnight Pappy, but today on a cool rainy spur of the moment decided to make some hamhocks and beens. Rinsed the beens, boiled for two minutes and soaked for an hour, drained off the water, added the hamhock broth and simmered another hour and a half. Was pretty tasty. Probably could have gotten away with less simmering as the beans were a little less than firm. Still pretty dang good! Even the 55 cent cornbread mix turned out great!

Good to see you too buddy! What's pouring today (besides the rain)??

That sounds really good! I grilled some steaks and dogs. Drinkin' an O'Hara's Irish Stout. I found a 4 pack on sale for $6.50.. I had never heard of it before. It's pretty tasty!

Not much at all actually. A glass of sherry with the soup. They go so well together.

Back