Cider Won't Carbonate?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twtr25

Reaction score
I put together a cider about 4 weeks ago and just kegged it on Wednesday night. To put it into perspective, it basically just consisted of apple juice, sugar, water, and honey (to increase the ABV). After 4 weeks of fermenting, I back-sweetened it with 2 cans of apple juice concentrate and racked it over to a corny keg.

Here's my issue...I was force carbonating it at 30 PSI and it has been like that for 48 hours now. I went ahead and poured a sample glass, but there is absolutely no carbonation in it.

Does it take longer for cider to carbonate, or did I do something wrong?? That is exactly how I have carbonated my last other batches of beer and I've had no issues with carbonation at all. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Mine took forever to get a nice tall german pils type head. About 4 weeks a 30 PSI. It cleared nicely too in that time.

I would think it needs longer than 48 hours even at low temps. If I set and forget at room temp I would do 30psi for at least a week maybe two. If you chill it down to serving temp at 10 psi you will probably be 80% there in a week. If you are in a rush put gas on at 35 and roll keg back and forth for 15 minutes (your gas will hiss the entire time) let it sit over night and you will have speed carbed your cider(this is best at cold temps ie 38*). Although there is a risk of overcarbing this way.

I dont keg but a buddy of mine puts his kegs in the fridge for a day with no gas and then hooks the keg to gas for a week at 10-12 PSI and has perfectly carbonated beer.

I would think it needs longer than 48 hours even at low temps. If I set and forget at room temp I would do 30psi for at least a week maybe two. If you chill it down to serving temp at 10 psi you will probably be 80% there in a week. If you are in a rush put gas on at 35 and roll keg back and forth for 15 minutes (your gas will hiss the entire time) let it sit over night and you will have speed carbed your cider(this is best at cold temps ie 38*). Although there is a risk of overcarbing this way.

I might have to try the rush carb technique. I was hoping to be able to drink/serve some of it for New Year's Eve.

What's the reason for it taking longer than regular beer to force carbonate? Is it the higher alcohol content?!

Back