Stanley Cup Playoffs 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like its going to be a rematch of last years finals. assuming chicago doesnt pull off some sort of miracle. pens are gonna take it this year though.

my only problem right now is the league and the tv outlets have the cup series starting jun 5.:( wtf over! nine days off for pitt and eight for us what kind of shiit is that? series should be starting this weekend.

Well, Detroit knows that Chicago is going to be playing with their backs to the wall, which is why they will also be playing like they are backed against the wall. So, this means that Chicago will lose, because Detroit has the much better team, even if Lidstrom is still out.

But, NHL better up the finals series if Detroit wins tonight. Waiting 9 days is simply BS IMO. I was nearly in tears last night because there was no hockey on (I didn't realize that pitt/philly was on last night.)

pens are gonna take it this year though.

You're drinking your own stash again, aren't you? Pens take it? Crosby IS that team (and don't get me wrong, he is fantastic). there's just no way he can take on every line the Wings have himself. He may single-handedly beat the Wing's #1 scoring line (I don't think so, but I wouldn't suprise me totally), but the Wing's #2 and #3 lines would all be first shifters on any other team in the league. They're too deep, they're too talented, and they play too well as a full unit to let one player beat them.

Wings go home with the cup (again) in 6 games.

You're drinking your own stash again, aren't you? Pens take it? Crosby IS that team (and don't get me wrong, he is fantastic). there's just no way he can take on every line the Wings have himself. He may single-handedly beat the Wing's #1 scoring line (I don't think so, but I wouldn't suprise me totally), but the Wing's #2 and #3 lines would all be first shifters on any other team in the league. They're too deep, they're too talented, and they play too well as a full unit to let one player beat them..

Hmm,, the sig says Fla, but I'm guessing another myopic Wings fan who's been displaced.

see ya next year blackhawks! same time next playoffs right?

and as for the pens they still only have a one line team (crosby,malkin, and whoever they stick with them) and we all know how well zetterberg did last year shutting down crosby.

Displaced fan - right on target. Myopic... Not a chance. My eyes are wide open, buddy!!! Bring on Pittsburgh!!!! :ban:

don't worry c, he's just a disgruntled blues fan who was misplaced to the west coast. he's just mad that the blues were booted out in the first rd.

This is so cool, I'm listening to the local radio coverage, and they have not cut away from the post game wing's press conference...most stations cut away....Osgood and cleary were giving some incredibly detailed answers about stuff..Stuff about what goes on in the locker room, strategy, emotions, stuff like that....to cool

The official schedule was announced as well/

Saturday, May 30 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS
Sunday, May 31 at Detroit, TBD-Night NBC, CBC, RDS
Tuesday, June 2 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm VERSUS, CBC, RDS
Thursday, June 4 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm VERSUS, CBC, RDS
* Saturday, June 6 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS
* Tuesday, June 9 at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS
* Friday, June 12 at Detroit, 8:00 pm NBC, CBC, RDS

don't worry c, he's just a disgruntled blues fan who was misplaced to the west coast. he's just mad that the blues were booted out in the first rd.

Wait?!?

St. Louis still has a hockey team???

LOL (just kidding. At the end of the day, any hockey fan is alright with me. There are too few of us. Except for Colorado fans. They all deserve to be covered in honey and left in the woods. Stupid Avalanche..... *grumble, grumble*)

By the way. As a HUGE Wings fan, it pains me a little to say this, but despite their loss, Huet deserves the game ball tonight. He stood on his head and single-handedly kept the Hawks in the game the entire way. And did you see the stop while on his stomach with his leg??? Amazing!

Nice game to both goalies but I was blown away by Huet.

Sorry. Pedestal speech over.

see ya next year blackhawks! same time next playoffs right?

and as for the pens they still only have a one line team (crosby,malkin, and whoever they stick with them) and we all know how well zetterberg did last year shutting down crosby.

Crosby and Malkin aren't on the same line except first shift PP. Penguins and Wings are pretty evenly matched in terms of how many different people on their team have contributed this post season.

Hopefully Pavs and Nick are healthy.

Bah, Huet was awesum, but that kick save was a fluke. The puck *should* have been lifted a bit higher. But even disregarding that save, he was spectacular, and so was Ozzie! If the Hawks had played this style from the start, who knows what would have happened!

Crosby and Malkin are incredible and have some guys playing with them too. Plus, they have last year's experience to give them a lift. Expect a tuff, well fought battle this finals. That said, I think Detroit is going to have the edge in coaching, depth, and goaltending (if Ozzie can keep up his postseason performance!)

Almost too close to call.

Very excited about this series, being a Norris fan I should be rooting for the wings. But I really want to see them go down. :)

You're drinking your own stash again, aren't you? Pens take it? Crosby IS that team (and don't get me wrong, he is fantastic). there's just no way he can take on every line the Wings have himself. He may single-handedly beat the Wing's #1 scoring line (I don't think so, but I wouldn't suprise me totally), but the Wing's #2 and #3 lines would all be first shifters on any other team in the league. They're too deep, they're too talented, and they play too well as a full unit to let one player beat them.

Wings go home with the cup (again) in 6 games.

are you kidding me? do you watch hockey? when crosby and malkin play the kind of hockey they have been this season/postseason, they can take on any line detroit has. why do you think they both have 28 points detroit almost lost to the number 8 seed ducks. and you seem to have forgotten guys such as fedotenko, guerrin, kunitz, staal, gonchar , scuderi, and orpik. and remember early in the season when jordan staal from the 3rd line completely embarrassed your red wings, if staal can single handedly beat your wings, crosby and malkin will do way more. the penguins are playing the best hockey right now as a team in the playoffs, their defense has been nothing short of amazing. their penalty kill is better than detroits. dont get me wrong, its gonna be a great series but the youth, talent, aggressivness and speed of pittsburghs game right now is gonna wear down detroit.

are you kidding me? do you watch hockey? when crosby and malkin play the kind of hockey they have been this season/postseason, they can take on any line detroit has. why do you think they both have 28 points detroit almost lost to the number 8 seed ducks.

Not meaning to argue, but please let me point out that the 8th seed ducks HANDILY beat the #1 team in the league. And took the 3rd place team in the league to 7 games.

You really can't determine a teams talent in the playoffs by their regular season rankings.

by saying that i meant since they have all that talent that series shouldnt have gone 7 games since all their players could be 1st liners on any other team. and i think they didnt come ready to play that series until the end and they realized that, which shouldnt have happened in the first place.

by saying that i meant since they have all that talent that series shouldnt have gone 7 games since all their players could be 1st liners on any other team. and i think they didnt come ready to play that series until the end and they realized that, which shouldnt have happened in the first place.

Shmoo, don't sweat it. You're dealing with myopic Wings fans. They're not like the rest of us.

Last years Stanley cup finels was crazy.. The wing barely won.

I think its going to be a good seires. (all 7 games)

I don't think the Penguins are going to be a walk in the park.

So they came to their senses and convinced the networks that this Saturday made better sense for game on of the final. Good. That means that hockey can be over before summer. lol.

I wish they would move the season start to September so the Finals were over in early May. Sometimes watching hockey at 4pm when it's 100F out and sunny till 9:30pm gets to be a chore. :)

It hits 100'F up in BC? In June even? I thought STL was bad enough, but we usually don't hit the triple digits until July.

I like to think that the Ducks just have a very good team. So does Chicago, and if they had kept their cool and played hard the whole time they would have been a much tougher opponent. I bet they will next year, unless the team is broke up.

I figure about half of the teams entering the playoffs are evenly matches, and luck and unknowns can play a role in deciding who wins any given game. Also that some teams style plays well against some teams and not others. I think that was on display in the first round in the West.

It hits 100'F up in BC? In June even? I thought STL was bad enough, but we usually don't hit the triple digits until July.

I mis-converted from metric. It was only 86 F here. 100 Will be in June. We live in a "semi-desert" area. Which means cold and somewhat snowy winters and dry hot summers with no real spring anymore. Fells more like someone flicking thelights on and off then suddenly it's 40c for several months. Temp ranges though. Usually mid to high 30's (100's F) in the summer.

Thats the temps at my house. Offical temps come from the airport which is quite a ways away. ALwys cooler there.

I love how Babcock called out the NHL advertisers today:

"Watching those commercials from last year, it seems like they won, I have to keep rechecking to make sure it was really us..."

Back