keggle IC cooler on quick connects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shushikiary

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and in the process of gathering the parts to build my first keggle. I'm currently going to do just the keggle and do extract brewing with maybe some grain steeping during the wart boil.

I'm going to run a 5500w electric ULD heater element to heat everything so I dont have to worry about ventilation in my basement, etc. I'll be using weldless connections from bargain fittings as well. Later I plan to update to a full HLT MLT system with a PID (not decided about RIMS yet, etc), but that's far down the road.

I've also thought about using air compressor quick connects (that way no rubber washers).

I've read lots of questions on here on CFC vs IC in keggles, etc, and I think that I'm going to go with an IC. However there is a twist, and I'd like your opinions/idea's on it as to problems I have not foreseen, etc.

So here goes... Rather than have an IC that has to be moved in/out and connected to hose adapters, etc each time I was thinking of making a built in IC but on quick connects so I could remove it for cleaning if need be, but I'm pretty sure it would be alright each brew to leave it in the keggle.

I looked around on quick connects and most of the things I've seen are expensive, like cam locks (which they also dont make in 1/2" stainless steel that I can find). So I was thinking... what about using garden hose quick connects... all metal of course (so far I've only found brass).

It's fairly simple to convert from 1/2" copper to a garden hose quick connect male, then a quick connect female to a stainless weldless bulk head from bargain fittings. Then out to a garden hose connector I'd put in my basement off the main water line (after the regulator of course).

An example of the quick connect: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015AUY3W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think this would work, and be ok for sanitation. I'm a little worried it being brass and not copper/stainless (maybe there are some stainless quick connects? or a better idea for a quick connect?) I'm also worried that most garden hose connectors (not the quick connect part) use rubber washers and that those wont hold up well while submerged in a boiling wort.

I've also thought about using air compressor quick connects, which would eliminate the rubber washer issue, but I'm not sure if they are NPT or not.

Did you guys have any better ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
-devon

Last edited by a moderator:
McMaster has a lot of quick disconnects you may look at. http://www.mcmaster.com/#quick-disconnect-hose-couplings/=6jii9l

I used the brass sleeve lock ones on my thermoplastc hoses. Don't know which ones would be appropriate to be submerged in the keggle, though. Unless both connections were above the wort line.

That's a pretty good idea. When I build my keggle, I was thinking of something similar. I'll keep an eye out for your project and learn from your mistakes. ;)

I went with your idea of not having the input/ouput submerged at all, though this doesnt allow me to use a lid very well, it works. Excuse the horrible cut job that's not circular at the top of the keg... a sawzall was all I had.

DSCN2565.jpg

DSCN2567.jpg

DSCN2569.jpg

DSCN2571.jpg

DSCN2572.jpg

DSCN2573.jpg

DSCN2574.jpg

DSCN2575.jpg

Are you planning on taking the IC out every time? You could use swaglok (or identical but cheaper because you are not paying for the swaglok 2 ferule design) fittings or even swag the ends of the IC and use flared fittings. this would be fairly easy to assemble/disassemble with just a spanner.

By the way your dog has awesome eyes!

lol, her name is Teela (like the character from He-Man), and her eyes caught the reflection from the flash... my friends are calling her "the gardian of the brew".

The endings already have essentually swagelok connections (they are brass compression fittings instead of stainless though) (assuming you mean the swagelok brand compression fittings). They then convert to 1/2 MIP and screw into a 1/2 MIP to garden hose adapter which screws into a garden hose quick connect. So the design is already really easy to remove. The coil currently suppends about 3.5 inches off the bottom of the keg for room for the heating element/drain tube, etc.

Most likely I'll leave the coil in each time I brew but I wanted it to be very easy to remove in case I needed to, here I can put it in or take it out in a matter of seconds.

Back