Laboratory design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone considered a laboratory design as brewery layout, or had experience with it ?
I was thinking of having a workbench where you brew, and then have water/gas/pumps/electricity/sensorIO etc. permanently mounted in the workbench or on the wall. This would allow for easier experimentation and changes in setup ? (that is what I do all the time anyway)

Something like this perhaps:
b5.png

cheers,
walther

I would have a lab seperate from the brewery, thats way most of them do. With a lab you want sterility, no need for any floating nasties in a lab.

I didn't mean it should be a sterile lab.
I just meant the layout should be like a lab, where you can change the brewing setup between brews, and disassemble everything. A physics lab if you will.

Cheers,
walther

Well, I guess I'm not real familiar with a "lab" setup, but most people probably don't have a dedicated space where they would be able to permanently mount everything. I know I wish I did, but space doesn't allow.

Could you give some examples of the experimentation or changes in setup that you do frequently? Most people will have some sort of a stand to have everything setup on, but the process is generally the same (save for a new gadget every now and then).

I think it sounds like a good idea if you have experience with a setup like this with your profession or education. My take on it is like a modular setup with interchangable components. However, I'm new to homebrewing and don't have a great setup myself. But I think the idea sounds cool to me.

A modular setup is also a good description, and I think it is the way I will try.
Currently I brew with electricity and one barrel (100L) with an inserted sieve.
But I would like to try gas, or maybe steam. I would also like to experiment with HERMS or RIMS, and different sensors and control. Cooling is another thing to experiment with, and if time allow, maybe brew a beer,.... ;)

cheers,
walther

Back