Quick apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude123

Reaction score
new brewer here with a quick question. I'm thinking about doing a batch of apfelwein but I want to a half batch, 2.5 gallons. In addition to halving the apple juice and the sugar, would I need to use half the packet of yeast, or would I still use the whole package?

Thanks

the yeast is for aprox. 5 gallons so when i made my half batch i just used half. if you have a scale measure out 2.5 grams since the Montrachet comes in 5 gram packs.

Those packages are good for 1-6 gallons, so just use a whole package. Once dry yeast is opened, air ruins it quickly, so if you don't use it you'd just throw it out anyway. Always use a whole package of dry yeast when you use wine yeast. (Not necessary for root beer, but that's a different story).

+1 on using the whole packet. You'll get the same results, and you can't really reuse an opened pack. The only time I'd split it is if I was doing two smaller batches (2.5-3g) but then, why wouldn't I just make one big batch?

+1 on using the whole packet. You'll get the same results, and you can't really reuse an opened pack. The only time I'd split it is if I was doing two smaller batches (2.5-3g) but then, why wouldn't I just make one big batch?

that was my reason for splitting. I wanted to make one with cranberry juice and the other with apple.

Ah, that does make sense, Orange. In that case, yeah. You might as well split the pack and save yourself a buck or two. Not necessary, or even really important since Montrachet is so cheap, but that's what I would do.

im a cheapskate and didnt feel the need to go back to the LHBS.

So Dude if you are just making one 2.5 gallon go with the whole pack like Yooper said.

One more question. The recipe calls for 100% juice with no additives or preservatives. The easiest juice for me has vitamin c added, but nothing else. Would the vitamin c cause a problem or will it be ok to use?

Dude, your biggest mistake in the world would be to shrink that recipe. YOu will totally screw it up!!! Trust me, inthe end you WILL want the extra two and a half gallons, just bite the bullet and do your full 5 gals.

hey Teddi, what problems does halving the recipe pose that doing a full 5 gallons would prevent?

hey Teddi, what problems does halving the recipe pose that doing a full 5 gallons would prevent?

I think what he was trying to say was that after you drink the 2.5 gallons you made, you'll be angry with yourself that you don't have another 2.5 gallons ready to go. Even EdWort recommends that 2 weeks after you've got your first batch fermenting, you start a second one. :drunk:

haha, thats what I was thinking. duh. I'll probably been the only one drinking this, so 2.5 should last me a little while, but we'll see :p

I'm getting a vision... it's a glimpse into the future...

Dude123 sitting in his favorite chair, polishing off his second glass of Apfelwine. He looks at his reserve supplies and says to himself "well, s***." I've got a 15 day gap between 5 gallon batches right now, and I'm already sweating it. Then again, I do share with my wife and a few close friends.

Latest posts

Back