Did I smack too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alerievay

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew an Alt (NB extract kit) this weekend, and I'm making a starter for the first time. I'm using one of the Wyeast smack packs, and I just smacked it, thinking I could make the starter tomorrow night for a Saturday brew. Now, though, it seems like everything I'm reading indicates that's too early to begin a starter.

Is it a big problem, or am I going to be ok? (I assume I'll be ok either way, but I'd like this batch to be an improvement over some of the noob mistakes I've made.)

RDWHAHB!
You'll be fine, just make the starter and once it has fermented you can store it in the fridge till brew day. Take the starter out and let it warm up for about 3 hours before pitching. You could also step it up again and get an even bigger cell count.

Thanks. I needed that.

By "step it up," do you mean add additional wort? I doubt I'll do that for this batch, but I might for a high-gravity batch later on.

I have a 2000 mL Erlenmeyer, so I can do about 2 qts, I think. I'm not really sure how much DME and water to use. I read somewhere that 2 oz. DME should be used per 400 mL water. So, do I start with 8 oz. DME and 1600 mL water, or will that be too much for the flask?

Latest posts

Back