Double Ipa recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penabrewchef

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a double Ipa that I want to dry hop with simcoe and armadillo. Then finish with blood orange syrup and orange zest. Any ideas or recipes how to approach this would be appreciated.

Hello,

How many batches have you brewed so far? If this is your first IIPA, I would suggest skipping the blood orange & zest for now. Practice perfecting the style first before adding crazy amendments & possibly muddling things up.

A simple grist for an Extract IIPA that allows the hops to shine best, without sacrificing malt complexity, would be comprised of a base of Muntons Extra Light DME, 10% Sugar, and 5% Light Crystal Malt. I would shoot for 1.070-1.075 OG. Does your system allow for a full volume boil with no top off water? This will help immensely with an IIPA.

Amarillo & Simcoe pair well together in the late boil/flameout/dryhop slots; you'll need about 8-10 oz. for a 5 gallon batch of Double IPA. I would also recommend getting 1-2 oz. early bittering hop like Warrior or Columbus. WLP090 San Diego Super for the yeast. Making a starter would help a big beer like this. There is plenty of information on how to do so via the search engine on the top left of this page.

Hopburst or lots of late hops. I've had good luck with 30/25/20/15/10/5/0 additions.
Definitely go full boil if you can.
Clean fermenting yeasts will help the hops to shine: in addition to WLP090, WLP001 & 007 can do the trick.
Skip the orange additions.
Don't dry hop the armadillo, it probably won't appreciate it.

This will be my third batch. First was a strong scotch ale 7% ABV. Turned out great. Second was an imperial oatmeal stout with cinnamon and bourbon soaked oak. It's 12% about to bottle it. Tastes great. I can do a 4 gallon boil. But I can do a one step mash if necessary.

I am looking to brew a double Ipa that I want to dry hop with simcoe and armadillo. Then finish with blood orange syrup and orange zest. Any ideas or recipes how to approach this would be appreciated.

Have you tried partial mash yet? I just did a PM "armadillo"/simcoe IPA a few days ago...and it smelled great!!! It was only my 4th batch, but my 2nd PM...they are actually pretty easy. Just make sure you have a pound of 2 row malt included with the grain to help with sugar conversion is all.

Back