Temperature Control Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodsStepBrother

Reaction score
ClaudiusB has this amazing stir plate in his brewery, it is temperature controlled and constantly feeds the yeast batch filtered oxygen. After months of drinking together, he was nice enough to convert a small red bull fridge I had lying around in the garage. Due to my adolescent knowledge of wiring and everything having to do with electrical, he showed me how to make it.

Though in the end he did almost everything, kudos to Claudiusb!
Grew my first yeast on this puppy last week for a Belgium triple, works like a charm.
:tank:

100_2128.jpg

100_2132.jpg

100_2140.jpg

100_2119.jpg

100_2084.jpg

100_2078.jpg

Um yeah that is so ****ing cool. Much better than my POS stir plate.

I wanted one for a long time to, going to harvest some pac man yeast with it today!

Isn't it a tad overkill? My understanding is that you just cover the stir plate with foil and no need to worry about the oxygen after that.

Yeah a bit over kill, but worth it. Kind of a reproduction of what the big boys do.

Ok I am really loosing you at the temp controlled O2 part. I get the automatic infusion of O2 but what does the temp have to do with it? Wouldn't it be better to put the O2 on a timer so every so often it injects O2?

That is a neat use of an old Red Bull fridge any way you look at it...

EDIT: It would be cool to cold crash it inside the thing...

The idea is to not have the yeast go over a huge temperature change, you can go ahead and slowly crash cool this, decant then raise the temp up slowly to the temperature of your ready made wort.

It is not pure oxygen that is being injected into the starter, but filtered air coming from a pump. You are right if you added pure oxygen constantly you would kill the yeast off in no time.

The idea is to not have the yeast go over a huge temperature change, you can go ahead and slowly crash cool this, decant then raise the temp up slowly to the temperature of your ready made wort.

It is not pure oxygen that is being injected into the starter, but filtered air coming from a pump. You are right if you added pure oxygen constantly you would kill the yeast off in no time.

I started to figure it out but thanks for clarifying. The Idea is really cool. I will be looking to do something similar if I ever find a unit like that.

Out of curiosity I noticed that you have a 1L flask do you think it would be big enough to run x2 2L or 4L flasks? thanks!

The most it can fit is a 2L flask. We were originally going to build a stir plate and just fit it inside. Then the 2L flask would not fit, so he ended up just building the stir plate into the fridge to allow a 2 liter flask ample room. Only enough room for 1 though.

Claudius on the other hand has a bigger one.
Finished_View.jpg

100_1424.jpg

Latest posts

Back