Secondary fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludovico

Reaction score
My first batch of homebrew is 3 days into it's primary fermentation and I have a question about secondary. If I transfer it to a secondary fermenter later and filter out the sediment (it's mostly the 4 ounces of hops in it so far I'm concerned about), will my beer still bottle condition correctly? Would I need to add more yeast? Is there a certain filter media I should use?

In the future, filter before Primary. Get those hops out of there. You'll be fine here but next time, strain first.

At this point I would let it sit in Primary for 12-14 days and then siphon to a secondary. You should leave most of the stuff behind.

Provided your temperatures stayed good while your beer was in primary, there should be absolutely no worry regarding your beer carbing after being racked to a secondary. Enough yeast makes the trip with the beer to continue the process. Not to worry.

Don't add yeast. Don't worry about filtering, provided you don't try to rack too much sediment into the primary.

Most of that should settle naturally over time. Just take care not to suck it up when you siphon. I think the wisdom on this site will say to leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and skip the secondary. Good luck and congrats on the first batch.

An no, you won't have to add more yeast. There will be plenty of yeast cells suspended in solution.

Thank you all! Great site, very helpful folks. Very excited to taste my first batch :D

Latest posts

Back