Brew Belt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin_rudolph

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering how much a Brew Belt raises the temperature of a Brew. I'm planning on Brewing some Mead and the recipe says to keep the temp between 70 - 78 degrees for optimal fermentation. Lower temperatures wont' hurt the must, it'll just take it longer to ferment.
So my house is about 62 - 64 degrees Farenheit, I was just wondering by how many degrees will the brew belt raise the temperature. I dont' want it to get too hot for my Must. Thanks.

Peace,
~Colin

I use the brew belt with both glass carboys and buckets. I found it easier with buckets,you can move the belt up and down the bucket to adjust the temp,with the carboy I push dowels (pencils,pens etc:) between the belt and the side of the carboy to adjust the temp. It took 8 pencils to keeep it at 68 deg.

I just bought one of these recently and mine will raise the temp on my 5gal glass carboy to 72F degrees in a room that is usually about 65F. However, I should note that the directions said not to use with glass carboys, so I have the carboy sitting in a bucket of water (bucket is half the height of the carboy) and the brew belt is wrapped around the bucket. So, I would think that using just a bucket fermenter would result in even greater heating ability since i'm heating 5 gallons of wort plus a few gallons of water.

Back