Farmhouse fermentation temp?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMbrewer

Reaction score
I want to do several farmhouse ales for the summer months and was wanting imput on fermentation temperature. I want to do a 1.060 to 1.065 OG beer so others can enjoy and it's not just me drinking it. Any thoughts on a temp to ferment at and yeast to use? Thanks in advance~!

any recommends on how to keep temp constant at 80*?

I tried to hold around 87* on mine.

First time I used a heating pad, wrapped in blankets and sitting over a heat vent. Worked well, but was a huge pain.

Second try was a cooler filled with water and an aquarium heater. Worked well until the old heater crapped out. I would recommend cover the top with a blanket or something to keep all the heat from escaping and not to overwork the heater.

My last attempt, which worked awesome was a small ceramic space heater in the bathroom. Set it to the certain temp and the bucket held the temp the entire time along with the bathroom not losing much temp. Granted the room feels like a sauna, but it worked out well and i'll be kegging that one up next weekend.

I start mine in the 68 degree range, then try to hold it there. I set my carboy in a tub filled with water and an aquarium heater. This easy holds it at the temp I want; after 3 days I start turning up the heat...been known to go all the way to 90 degrees! Keeps the fusels in check! :drunk:

I start mine in the 68 degree range, then try to hold it there. I set my carboy in a tub filled with water and an aquarium heater. This easy holds it at the temp I want; after 3 days I start turning up the heat...been known to go all the way to 90 degrees! Keeps the fusels in check! :drunk:

i highly recommend this method... i fermented at 85-90 from the start and got some strong ass esters that were not so pleasant (tar, pepper etc) using 565. Too bad too--otherwise the batch would have been really good. they are fading, but still not as good as it could have been. So start at a normal-ish range, then ramp up 3-5 days later (you may not even need to do this with other saison yeasts, or even 565 for that matter). Or try I think the 566, or some of the specialized saison yeasts that are out right now.

I did a 10 gal batch and did one straight with 565 and the other with 565 and brett b at the same time. That one is still in secondary, but it tastes better from what I can tell--the brett may have diffused some of the other flavors.

My above statement applies to starting Saisons in early spring, hence the need for heat. Of course as we enter summer here in the Upper Midwest, ice becomes more important in the water tub....well, it did, until I procured a brand new chest freezer in exchange for a sore back and some sweat this past weekend! :rockin:
The Saison Brun I recently brewed started at 1.056 and was at 1.010 in a week, after three days at 68 reaching 80 on day 7...it's been sitting at ambient house temp 74-77 degrees...it's been hot here this week, going to take a reading soon to see if it'll get down to 1.004. Using the Wyeast French Saison yeast this time....this thing is a monster...no stalling like their regular Belgian Saison yeast.

Back