fermenting temperatures for apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
So my apfelwein batch is about 2 weeks in. Current SG is 1.004 down from the OG of 1.062. So it's getting pretty strong. My question is:

EdWort's recipe calls for 6 weeks at 74 degrees. It's no where near that warm in oregon currently! I'd guess my bedroom (where I'm keeping it so the kids stay out of it) is ranging between 50 and 60 degrees. Should I still stick with the "minimum 6 weeks" or just sorta eye ball it? I realize that the lower temp could mean that the yeast will take longer, should I be concerned at all?

Cheers!:tank:

I'd let it sit for longer than 6 weeks. I let mine sit for 8@64F weeks and it was fine. I'm actually quite upset with myself. I made the only batch I've ever done around 2 years ago. I tasted it after it had been in bottles for 3 months...didn't like it. 6 months...same thing. I finally started giving the stuff away at 9 months and I left myself with around 6 bottles (just in case). I just tried a bottle last night after it had conditioned around 40 degrees for the last 2 years....amazing! I wish I wouldn't have given it away.

Back