Beer tastes wrong - willing to let it sit - which is best way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikfxsts

Reaction score
I made a New Castle "knock off" a few months ago. Had to run out of town, so couldn't keep up on the ice bath during fermentation. Long story short, it tasted like lighter fluid and kind of sour.

I waited out a "runied" beer before, and after 9 months it was quite tasty. I am willing to give this one time to "fix" itself.

QUESTION: Should I:
a) Keep it in the 70degree basement in the keg
b) Put it back in the keezer
c) give up - it's infected

Here are my notes:

8/9/2009 - Used washed yeast from previous batch (Feb 2009). Just poured in yeast in Jar
- fermented w/ ice to keep temp down for first few days.
- after that, temp fluctuated up to 76degrees for almost 4 weeks in Primary (bucket)

9/12/2009 - Measured 1.103FG@ 70deg. Moved to KEG #3 @ 12lbs @38 degrees

10/17/2009 - Took out of Keezer, and moved to 70deg basement. Hopefully, the yeast can clean this mess up. Will leave for a few weeks in basement.

11/1/2009 - No more lighter fluid taste, but tastes sour. Still in basement

SOrry about that, you are correct:

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
(5 gallons)

I've got a 'high temperature IPA' that might also suffer from 'Notty's Revenge'. Weird, slightly rubbery taste. I'm leaving it at my usual conditioning temps (68-70) with all the other beers. I figure it's great for all the other batches, makes sense to leave it there and look at it longingly for the next year, while I work my way around it. Nothing scientific here, just anecdotal.

I figured that, with an FG of 1.103, you must have forgotten to put yeast in a Barleywine :D

Let it ride,

store it in your keg (be sure to purge the O2)

either in the keezer or not. The fusel alcohol that was produced by your high fermentation temps will fade over time.

If you have the time and space ignore it.

i recently brewed a new castle clone as well and it has an 'off flavor' too. my best shot at describing it is a touch metallic in flavor. not overwhelming, but it shouldn'tu be there? think im suffering from a similar problem?? should i just let it sit?

Back