Banana Blonde??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So I brewed Jamil's Blonde Ale recipe but used hallertauer hops. It fermented at a very steady 62F in primary for 3 weeks, crashed cooled for 3 days and kegged. When I taste it I can swear I'm drinking a hefe! There is a BIG banana aroma to it and I can't figure out what to attribute it to. Here's my recipe. Any input is appreciated!

6 lbs Xlight LME
.5 lbs crystal 10L
1 oz Hallertauer (6%) @ 60min
pitched Nottingham

That's what I would think, except my fermentation chamber is temp controlled at a nice 62F ± 1F at all times. That's why I'm asking what else could have created the banana bomb...

What batch of Notty did you use? See the Nottingham thread for more.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/nottingham-yeast-128940/

But yeah, I have a blonde ale right now that was fermented in the low 60's with notty that tastes like a weak hefe. Almost like I poured 1/4 hefe with my normal blonde. First time it has ever happened to me. Really off putting to me as it has always been clean, crisp and crackery on the palate. Notty is completely out of my rotation as a suitable yeast. I am going to age this batch a few more weeks and see how she goes. If it fades a few clicks it will be one hell of a beer because it 'could' end up lending a nice subtle fruitiness to it.

So I brewed Jamil's Blonde Ale recipe but used hallertauer hops. It fermented at a very steady 62F in primary for 3 weeks, crashed cooled for 3 days and kegged. When I taste it I can swear I'm drinking a hefe! There is a BIG banana aroma to it and I can't figure out what to attribute it to. Here's my recipe. Any input is appreciated!

6 lbs Xlight LME
.5 lbs crystal 10L
1 oz Hallertauer (6%) @ 60min
pitched Nottingham

The ambient temp was 62f so what was the wort temp? i use those thermo strips and put them on the fermentor. My fridge will be at 64f but the wort at high krausen will read 73f BE CAREFULL!!! you might be fermenting that nottingham too hot. Just my 2 cents....... :)

The ambient temp was 62f so what was the wort temp? i use those thermo strips and put them on the fermentor. My fridge will be at 64f but the wort at high krausen will read 73f BE CAREFULL!!! you might be fermenting that nottingham too hot. Just my 2 cents....... :)

This was my question too...5 gallons of liquid that is chock full of fermenting yeast will definitely throw off some heat!

Back