Not Enough Bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisrippe

Reaction score
I brewed an Wet Hopped 60 minute IPA. Put a pound of wet Cascade hops in and when I moved it to secondary there was no noticeable bitterness. I am thinking of brewing a half gallon from pale DME and boiling 1 ounce Warrior or Magnum in for 90 minutes then adding that new wort to the secondary. Anyone a have any ideas, or thoughts on this strategy.

Last night I bottled a beer that I thought was un-bitter so I boiled an ounce of hops for an hour in a couple cups of water and added that to the beer when I bottled. I don't know how it turned out. I do know that the hop tea I added was extremely bitter when tasted by itself.

I brewed an Wet Hopped 60 minute IPA. Put a pound of wet Cascade hops in and when I moved it to secondary there was no noticeable bitterness. I am thinking of brewing a half gallon from pale DME and boiling 1 ounce Warrior or Magnum in for 90 minutes then adding that new wort to the secondary. Anyone a have any ideas, or thoughts on this strategy.

What is your sulphate to chloride ratio?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Just blend to taste.

What was your original recipe? I've heard in wet hop beers you need to use about 6x the hops as you would in a normal standard hop recipe.

What is your sulphate to chloride ratio?

Excellent question and before you mix another batch you need to see if your water chemistry is the problem. CACO3 (gypsum) can enahance bitterness but before anyone recommends a change, we have to know where you are starting from.

A lot of people make hop teas using just water and treating the boiling schedule the same. Apparently it's not far from the same as the initial boil in terms of quantities, so go for it.

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=11385

13.3 lbs American 2-row info
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 20°L info
.5 lbs Barley Flaked info
2 oz Cascade (Whole, 1.50 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
2 oz Cascade (Whole, 1.50 %AA) boiled 50 min. info
2 oz Cascade (Whole, 1.50 %AA) boiled 40 min. info
2 oz Cascade (Whole, 1.5 %AA) boiled 30 min. info
2 oz Cascade (Whole, 1.50 %AA) boiled 20 min. info
2 oz Cascade (Whole, 1.50 %AA) boiled 10 min. info
2 oz Cascade (Whole, 1.50 %AA) boiled 1 min. info
1 oz Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) used as dry hop. info
1 tsp. Irish Moss (10 Minutes) (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale info

Actual Yeast WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast
A friend harvested me a pound of Cascade wet hops. I plugged in the bitterness at 1/5 of that of dry hops, it looked like I needed to use the whole pound.
7 days moved to secondary with dry hops. Gravity 1.014 Tasted like unsweet honey no noticeable bittering.

Decided to boil some warrior hop pellets for 60 minutes in 2 cups of water with 2/3 cup dma and add it to secondary. Pulling out the Cascade dry hops and putting in 1 ounce centennial pellet hops. Lets hope this works.

Back