Northern Michigan/UP microbrews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As was stated earlier in the thread, there is a new nanobrewery in Marquette called Blackrocks Brewery. The owners are SUPER cool guys and the beer is damn good too from what I've had. They're only brewing on a 1bbl system and thus are only open Fri/Sat/Sun currently. I'd say right now they're making the best and most innovative beer in the UP.

That sucks about Soo Brewing. I watched all of the youtube videos yesterday but skipped the majority of the last two since the sound was atrocious. I'm heading over to the Sault next week on business so I'll check it out anyway and reserve judgement.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned is Hereford & Hops in Escanaba. I'm there all of the time since it's only a mile or so from my house. They make some really nice beers, but do have some misses as well. Over the last 6 months or so they've had an awesome rotating guest tap though - Short's Liberator, HopSlam, Bell's 10,000, Stone Arrogant Bastard, Short's Rich's Rye, etc etc.

Short's is worth the drive. Every beer they make is delish. I've always wanted to go to the tequamenon brewery but have never been there. Big Buck in Gaylord is closed down I think.

Short's is worth the drive. Every beer they make is delish. I've always wanted to go to the tequamenon brewery but have never been there. Big Buck in Gaylord is closed down I think. Bart's in Bay City has some really good beers and food if your driving through.

I hope they are open. I was up at Boyne last winter and they were closed. If they got going again it would be great.

Apparently they have closed all locations except for Gaylord. I just called and Julia informed me of their hours for the weekend.

I have not heard much good about them for many years now. I have been to the Grand Rapids location many years ago and did not find the beer, nor the food, special in any way (disclaimer: I was not into craft beer as much back then).

I just got back to my hotel from Soo Brewing and would like to say that Ray over there was a pretty cool guy. He seemed a bit standoffish at first, but once I got him talking he was very personable and glad to be talking to a home brewer. It turns out that he had been working since 5:30AM and here it was 9PM, hence his being a bit tuned out upon my arrival. We talked beer and he even committed to sending some beer and maybe pouring at a charitable beer fest that I help organize in the fall. The beer was decent, not amazing, but I think he's still figuring out his system a bit and it will only be uphill from here. He's currently got 4 taps but will be up to 10 by Summer's end. I'll definitely be stopping back every time I'm in the Sault.

Back