Two pictures of what I think is floating trub.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsocc

Reaction score
What is going on here? This is the fourth week in the secondary for this brew (a dead guy clone). It cleared really well and by the end of the third week I could see through it pretty easily.

Now its in the middle of the fourth week and there are pieces of what looks like trub floating up top.

Exhibit A:
q2.jpg

Exhibit B:
q1.jpg

Will this stuff sink again? Is there some co2 that was produced on the bottom that got trapped and buoyed a couple chunks to the surface? Should I just chuck it in the fridge and keg it this weekend?

I think this may have happened because it got a little warmer.

Anyway - I did 10 days in primary and its in week four of the secondary.

I suspect you're right about the temperature change causing out-gassing & floaties. Chill it & keg. It's been long enough, you could force carb & drink it.

They taste fine. I sterilized using star san. I doubt its infected. I was just curious if these things would sink again - or if I need to cold crash it to get them to sink.

I wanted to let it sit five weeks in the secondary - but I might settle with just four if these things are going to keep springing up.

OK, then don't worry. Just bottle or keg. Even if you sucked that entire floaty into the bottling bucket/keg, it would make too much of a difference.

4 weeks in secondary for a Dead Guy clone is more than enough. Just wondering - is it really that dark?

blacklab said:
OK, then don't worry. Just bottle or keg. Even if you sucked that entire floaty into the bottling bucket/keg, it would make too much of a difference.

4 weeks in secondary for a Dead Guy clone is more than enough. Just wondering - is it really that dark?

Well - I kind of experimented a bit. Just for fun I substituted a pound of DME for a pound of grade B maple syrup (measured the density then found the weight). I added the maple with 30 minutes left in the boil. I also added some charred oak chips that I soaked in jack for two weeks to the brew while in secondary. I used White Labs 001 California Ale yeast... cause I like the stuff and it ferments out pretty well.

I just wanted to be sure to give it enough time for all the flavors to come together.

The pictures make it look a lot darker than it actually is. With some light shining through it the stuff looks red and you can see through it.

Perhaps it is dark because you added the marple syrup too early in the boil? Shouldn't it be added at the last 10 minutes or so in the boil?

Latest posts

Back