Electrical Question - Grounds and Neutral in a subpanel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDF99

Reaction score
I have a 100amp subpanel in my garage that is fed from a 100amp breaker in the main panel in the house. Is my understanding of electrical code correct that in the subpanel; the grounds and neutrals have to be separated on different bars, and the bare wire from a 240V circuit (i.e. 8/2 romex) would go to the ground bar? Thanks.

Ground and neutral are tied together in your main power panel but they are separate in your sub panel to prevent ground loops. The ground in your sub panel should run to a pair of ground rods outside the building and the circuit is run this way to prevent ground loops. The bare copper wire goes to the ground bus and the white wire goes to the neutral bus and they also shoud not touch anywhere in your equipment. The ground connects to any exposed metal like your brew pot, brew stand and controller box. The neutral white wire provides the "ground" connection for anything running 120V.

In other words if you are running any 120V parts in your system like a March pump you need 4 wires - red, black, white, bare (or green), not three.

I have a 100amp sub panel in my garage that is fed from a 100amp breaker in the main panel in the house. Is my understanding of electrical code correct that in the sub panel; the grounds and neutrals have to be separated on different bars, and the bare wire from a 240V circuit (i.e. 8/2 romex) would go to the ground bar? Thanks.

Got it, thanks guys.

I wired in a 50amp 4 prong receptacle out of my subpanel along with a 50amp GFCI Square D QO breaker. I used 6 gauge stranded wire and that stuff is stiff, not exactly easy to work with but do-able!

I'm in the process of building my e-kettle control box. I'm going to include a 120V outlet for a future pump. The lights, alarm buzzer and contactor coil are 120V as well.

I'm planning to use 8/4 SO cable to power the control box and run 10/3 SO cable out to the kettle/element.

Back