JFK's HERMS Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFK

Reaction score
After reviewing a lot of the HERMS Rigs online I have decided to build my own. I aquired 3 kegs a few days ago and watched Bobby M. convert one on his video (he makes it look easy). I then build a jig and rented a angle grinder for 18.00 for 24 hours but they gave me the 4 hour rate of 9.00 because i had it back by 9 am the next day and i rented it right before they closed at 730pm. i cut the lids off the 3 kegs last night. I feal very acomplished even though I am very far from being done :) I will work on finishing up the keggles soon enough. (Have to goto court today to see how much money I have to spare. lawsuit against Paypal for screwing me out of 500.00). If all goes well I will be ordering weldless fittings for my 3 keggles today. I have a few pics of my keg converting endevours from last night.
The Jig:
kegglejig.jpg

The Keggles:
keggles.jpg

Me with the Keggles:
mewithkeggle.jpg

and for laughs a makeshift chiller ( I have since watched Bobby M.'s video on how to make a good one and will be doing so for my HERMS.

roflchiller.jpg

well that is all for now.. Off to breakfast and court. wish me luck a win today could = a huge progression in my HERMS

Your chiller looks fine man!!

Good job on those cuts! You'll really enjoy those keggles!

Nice job on the cuts. Just wanted to mention that you can buy a decent angle grinder for about $25 at Home Depot. I bought mine to cut tops out of kegs, but have used it for a lot more since. :)

good luck in court.

For $500 I'll be surprised if they even show up.

I've read the Pay pal agreement they have with vendors.
This clause is in it:
14.3 Law and Forum for Disputes. Except as otherwise agreed by the parties or as described in section 14.2 above, you agree that any claim or dispute you may have against PayPal must be resolved by a court located in either Santa Clara County, California, or Omaha, Nebraska. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within Santa Clara County, California, or Omaha, Nebraska for the purpose of litigating all such claims or disputes. This Agreement shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of California, without regard to conflict of law provisions.

In my industry that is called a "Forum Selection clause" and a "Choice of Laws" clause, with which the parties agree that the courts and laws of a named State (CA) are to be used for any disputes. Those clauses are enforceable in every state in the USA. What this means is you gotta go to California to Santa Clara county or Omaha NB to sue them.

It's worse: The Pay Pal vendor agreed to be subject to the Santa Clara CA courts so they can hail you into court there, and you can't insist they come to your home state.

In only one instance have I encountered a court willing to hold such clauses unenforceable and it was as to a specific franchise type of operation and I have only encountered this once and only in one state.

But it can never hurt to ask the court to hold the clause unenforceable. What's the worst that can happen: The court says no?
You can raise a good argument about how the clauses are intended to handicap small dealers crippling them in the courts because of the costs.

I'm guessing that they they may very well just ignore you and you lawsuit.
But, You might get a default judgment. But that judgment is only good in your home state (Michigan?). And they can always show up with contract in hand and insist that the local court lacked jurisdiction. That is the death knell to your suit if the court agrees.

To the question of you getting paid:
No body writes out checks in the court rooms. the gavel comes down a verdict is uttered and everybody leaves. No money changes hands.
If you want to collect on a judgment you have to invoke a whole different universe of legal proceedings we call "collections." If the defendant is not domiciled in your home state, you gotta go to theirs and do what is called "domesticate" the judgment.

Then, if you seek to domesticate the judgment in their state, they can file for a special appearance in their domicile state and present the agreement which the cout will most likely agree is enforcable and quash your default judgment.

That all sounds pretty damn dismal, I know.

It gets worse. Most financial institutions and banks are all regulated by the UCC and your individual state versions of the UCC. It's all pretty good law that's been honed sharp and tight over the many years it's existed.

Pay Pal however, is not regulated by the UCC. They come under Regulation E. Reg E is like the wild West of financial regs. It's a sloppy undeveloped area of law and for those with troubles, it's usually a nightmare.

However, you are not dead in the water just yet.

If you get a default judgment, check the following out with your court clerk's office.
Ask if they have a protocol by which you can docket your judgment in superior court. Some states have this some don't

If you can get it transferred (docketed) in superior court then Pay Pal will have a problem.

Ya see most credit checks don't drill down to the Small claims judgments. Instead they often just go as deep as superior court. If an unsatisfied judgment pops up on a credit check it is usually death to any financial transaction involving credit.

If your judgment can be put on the records of your state's superior court you will have tied Pay Pal's hands.
They won't be able to get credit until they get that judgment satisfied and paid. That means they will have to get into court and probably in you home state revive the case plead:
(1) Failure of proper notice accusing you of having failed to notice them pursuant to the laws of your state and then of California's too (because of those clauses), (2) Insufficient jurisdiction and use those clauses to show that your lawsuit had to have been in California, (3) probably file a version of a 12(b)(6) motion just because.
They will win if they do this. But I can't see them spending the money.

And that's why you may get paid some day if they file an application for credit somewhere. Your itty bitty judgment will handicap them. It'll be easier to write you a check.

So you can at least do that.

If on the other hand, they show up to defend I really ~ REALLY ~ R-E-A-L-L-Y ~ ~ ~ would like to hear what they say. I'd like very much to see the papers they filed and what their defenses were.

Well I had a bad day in court. I had to sign a dismissal to get paypal to drop the fees and costs of 1000 bux. But now i am going into arbitration with them maybe ill get my money stil but the judge was a conservative republican.. so i was doomed if i wouldnt have signed she was a Capital B to me. anyhow oh well sorry to go off topic. back to brewing stuff !! more to come on the HERMS soon. May start working with a local michigan brewer on advanced designs.

I was also wondering why a conservative republican would not be interested in seeing justice served, but I try to keep politics out of the technical forums. :p

Well I had a bad day in court. I had to sign a dismissal to get paypal to drop the fees and costs of 1000 bux. But now i am going into arbitration with them maybe ill get my money stil but the judge was a conservative republican.. so i was doomed if i wouldnt have signed she was a Capital B to me. anyhow oh well sorry to go off topic. back to brewing stuff !! more to come on the HERMS soon. May start working with a local michigan brewer on advanced designs.

I'm sorry it wet poorly for you.

Maybe this will explain some of your troubles:
14.4 Improperly Filed Litigation. All claims you bring against PayPal must be resolved in accordance with section 14 of this Agreement. All claims filed or brought contrary to section 14 shall be considered improperly filed a breach of this Agreement. Should you file a claim contrary to section 14, PayPal may recover attorneys fees and costs (including in-house attorneys and paralegals) up to $1,000.00 USD, provided that PayPal has notified you in writing of the improperly filed claim, and you have failed to promptly withdraw the claim.

So according to the agreement which you signed, you were in breach of the agreement by filing anywhere besides CA or NB.

Go here:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?...l&locale.x=en_US#1. Our Relationship With You.
Read section 14 Disputes with Pay Pal.
It's all there in agonizing black and white. It's the agreement you signed.

Blaming the judge is just wrong. Her job is not to provide cover to the litigants, but merely to enforce the law and in your case the Agreement which you signed.

Pay Pal is a sophisticated business enterprise. There are things you need to do to protect yourself when dealing with them
You gotta have a separate bank account just for them, and never keep any money in it that you don't expect them to take.
And ya gotta read every single word in every agreement or document you sign read 'em slowly and more than once.

Not to be rude, but lets not bury this guy's build thread with a bunch of extraneous stuff!! I'm here for the build!

Pay Pal is a sophisticated business enterprise. There are things you need to do to protect yourself when dealing with them
You gotta have a separate bank account just for them, and never keep any money in it that you don't expect them to take.
And ya gotta read every single word in every agreement or document you sign read 'em slowly and more than once.

Sooooo.....paypal + vendor = devil + soul?

Fwiw, I have never had an issue with them in the many years I have been using them. And I prefer HERMS to RIMS.

It is slighted to be a single tier build. I am starting with darkheart brewery's build and making some personal modifications because I am extra lazy. IE. I dont want to even get up to turn the water on or off. It will propably start as a manual electric system while i figure out the technical side of the wiring and boards and chips and software to be able to completely automate it ;) no more pictures yet but I am going to be ordering my weldless fittings probably tommorrow. (expecting my tax returns tommorrow).

I am extra lazy. IE. I dont want to even get up to turn the water on or off.

Well, then, I want to see the Lexa Doig/Rommie android you build to bring you your beer.

The good thing for me Santa Clara County Court buildings only 26 miles away from me should I ever need to go to court over PayPal. I just went thru a purchase on ebay the seller only takes "ProPal", WTF?
Hey more about your brew build as well all the best with your PayPal case.
Makes me think and read more before my next PayPal purchase.

hmm.. adds the android to the list. Hey bobby M. what is the range for the weldless fittings? what i am asking is what size holes will i need to drill to fit them. I bought a 7/8 titanium bit today. but havent opened it in case i need a smaller one. got my tax returns so I will be ordering my fittings tommorrow. Will probably get what I can from Bobby since he has been a help to me thus far on this project with his videos much love.

Jeremiah F. K.
Dead President's Brewery

(snippage)the judge was a conservative republican.. so i was doomed if i wouldnt have signed she was a Capital B to me.

What does party affilliation have to do with it? Assuming the judge was on the side of the Big Business? That's pretty simple, to put it kindly.

Back to building - Your 7/8" bit will produce the right size hole for a 1/2" weldless fitting. Is a drill bit or a hole saw? Either way, use a center punch to locate and start, you want to make sure it doesn't wander while cutting. Keep the speed slow, pressure against the keggle high, and use cutting oil, or even soapy water will do. Good luck!

7/8" is .875" and the actual OD of 1/2" NPT threads is .840" so it should fit nicely.

13/16" is .815" so unless you're using a hole saw that makes slightly sloppy cuts, it will be a little more snug than I'd like.

Do a test in some scrap.

Wonder why BF recommends that then, that is what I used, with a TiN coated step drill

I just threw the calipers on an actual 1/2" NPT fitting and measured .83 at the widest thread. I don't know why a 13/16" unibit would make a large enough hole.

I also measured the ID of some 3/4" washers and they measure exactly .81 or 13/16 and the 1/2" npt doesn't make it all the way.

The only conclusion I can come to is that a 13/16" bit makes more like a 7/8" actual hole. Weird.

Bobby I checked some of thee 1/2 in fittings and came up with the same thing as you at .83. I than went and drilled a couple of holes with 2 different step bits. The 13/16 holes measured from .815 to .835. Which makes for a very tight fit on the coupler. The 7/8 holes were from .865 to .890 leaving a very small amount of play. The 7/8 holes were perfect for a coupler that was not threaded all the way.

A little bit off topic I was at Beer Beer & More beer yesterday and their 1/2" couplings come with a bright machined exterior vs those cast "El Cheapo" finished couplings that have been posted in the past. I sure would go with one of them but keep the hole undersize and dimple the kettle for a exterior fusion weld. This ready to go would take but a few minutes to Tig weld or have paid to be welded vs a nipple welded unless you dimpled for a short nipple instead. Just another idea unless your going weldless.

FWIW the cost difference between a machined and cast 1/2" SS couplings is about $1.

I've cut literally dozens of kegs, and I always used a 7/8 hole saw. Most of these had couplings welded on, but I have cut some for club members who went weldless, and they worked fine. I do recommend using the step bit, as a hole saw can make a sloppy cut if you're not careful.

to answer the questions.. reitergrate yes i am going weldless. yeah i am going to use a 7/8 titanium step drill bit. and I am canceling my preorder on FF13 to buy my fittings tonight. Brewing > video games. I think my fiancee thinks I am sick she wants to take my temp. well off to order my stuff. First stop Bobby M. second stop.. hope i dont need one.

update having to find a difrent source to buy my weldless from.. pending my paypal problem they have blocked all my credit cards from being used so i cant order through bobby. hopefully this will be resolved soon.. it is rediculous how much more this project is costing me without ebay or paypal use. as a second thought i am going to find a way to use paypal through a friend or family member.

started sanding out the scratches on the exterior of the keggles. My car blew out 2 yeah 2 cadialac converters so funding has been dampered for a minute and still dealing with paypal in arbitration. So the best way to proceed is polish to a mirror finish :) I am talking with a fellow member currently about possibly welding my fittings instead of going weldless. May be a more feasable and cost effective means to proceed. More to come and at the least I should have some pretty pictures of overly polished Keggles.

anyone have a good source to order fittings for keggles from? I am going to go with welded fittings because the weldless versions are rather expensive. if you know a good place to buy them cheap let me know. need to get 8 fittings, 3 more thermometer fittings, and 3 more for sight glasses.

:drunk:

I got most of my coupling here, before discovering a good local source that was cheaper.

The half-couplings are only threaded on 1 end, despite the picture at that site showing them threaded at both ends. I also picked up some square head plugs so that I could plug the holes in the kegs without having all of the hardware installed.

ok back to my build after a two year break sigh. life got crazy. ok revisions I am building off of Darkheart's build for flow etc. But due to money I am not automating the build to begin with. I am going to add that later. I also decided to get away from electric heating elements and just ordered 14 1/2 inch 304 SS Couplings - Full, and 2 hurricane low pressure burners with both the natural gas and propane adapters. was cheaper to order the natural gas ones at the same time to not have to pay extra shipping even though they wont be used for awhile. I secured a welder today through my wife's grandfather. he found me a guy who will do all my welding on the keggles and weld my frame all for FREE BEER from each of my batches! he said he may even have a bunch of stock laying around so i may not have to pay for raw materials or at least not some of them. My wife is on board with me finishing this build on about a 300/month budget!!! So you will see pictures and this project getting going again!

Back