Oxyfree pitting glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I soaked some bottles for about 2 days in a 2 tbs oxy per 5 gallons of water mix. Now the bottles seem to have some pitting, next time should I back off on the amount oxy?

would the temp of the water have any thing to do with it?

There's no possible chemical reaction I can think of that would cause sodium percarbonate to react with glass in the way you decsribe, which is about the most inert substance there is. In fact, the "soda ash" byproduct of the reaction with water is one of the primary ingredients in certain types of glass...

I've heard anecdotal evidence of this happening before... I think there are other threads on it. I just don't see how's its logically possible, given the composition of Sodium Percarbonate cleaners... there's got to be an aggravating factor...

Are you sure it's pitting and not a deposit. Try cleaning it with something acidic like star san or bar keepers friend and see it it doesn't come off. As said above, there are no chemical reactions that would cause pitting in glass from a per carbonate cleaner.

I thought I had the same problem before, but it turned out that I used too much oxyclean in hot water and as it cooler, it crystallized on my bottles. It even looked like little bubbles in the glass. After a soak in a diluted vinegar solution, my bottles came out good as new.

Lately I have just been doing my soaks in cold water as my water is stupidly hard and all kinds of stuff comes out of solution as it cools.

I've had the same problem, glass and plastic. A little vinegar will take it right off (even when elbow grease seemed like it wouldn't).

Back