draft beer stronger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have always heard that draft beer is stronger than bottled beer, is this true and why?

This is usually anecdotal data as a result of people getting drunker...quicker on draft beer.

This is usually the result of the fact that draft beer is much more quickly consumed because a lot of CO2 has been knocked out of solution while being drawn, and this make the beer much more smooth and drinkable.

The ABV between bottled and kegged beer is essentially the same, but people have a propensity to drink a bottle slower because it is colder and fizzier than it's draft counterpart.

drats are friggin cheaper. people wake up with a hangover and a 25 dollar bar tab. guess what they decide 2 days later......

Some draft beers are different than bottled ones - Sierra Nevada comes to mine. Their pale is lower in ABV than their draft product (or vice versa), by almost a point. Why? I have no idea. I think the sales between the two products have something to do with that.

It could also be the result of dumb laws like in Colorado where Walmart can sell beer but with a 3.2%ABW limit where the liquor store next door can sell whatever %. So from what I understood the budweiser and the like sold there is actually a watered down version to stay within those legal limits. So in that case a supermarket bought beer would be lower alcohol than what the bar is serving.

I don't live there, but driving through that's what various people told me.

As far as homebrewing goes, bottle conditioned beers will be stronger than force carbonated beer in kegs, simply because there is that extra bit of priming sugar that has been turned to alcohol. Something like .3% higher ABV

Being on my third pint of my first keg of homebrew, I'm betting that's it's more of a speed issue. It's WAY too easy to pull pint after pint and soon forget how many you've had. With bottles, there's evidence.

Back