Wine thief necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nibiyabi

Reaction score
A turkey baster isn't nearly long enough because I only ended up with around 4-4.5 gallons for some reason. I really need to take a hydrometer reading soon to see if the beer will be ready for kegging this Friday, so do you think it'd be alright if I just plop it in and then retrieve it with thoroughly cleaned and sanitized metal tongs?

I wouldn't run the risk of losing the hydrometer! Also, more risk of contamination I would think. I would take a piece of sterilized hose (food grade of course) and dip it in, then put your thumb over the open end and pull it out to collect a sample. otherwise maybe you could attach some tubing on the end of the turkey baster to make it longer?

I use the outer tube of my auto-siphon as a makeshift thief....you don't even have to put your thumb over the top.....just dip it down in there and pull up, moving quickly once you pull it out because there's a tiny dribble that makes it out of the bottom.....

Like the other guy said, you can use hose if you have it, but I like the ease of the wine thief. I use it all the time. I don't remember how much it was, but I don't think it was more than $10.

Also, not that it's a real test of complete fermentation, but how long has this batch been fermenting for? What's the rush to get it into your keg? (Other than the obvious need for the beer :rockin:)

I didnt have anything that would fit in the mouth of a carboy, The ******* in me was allowed to play a little, I put the hydrometer in and left it until transfered to bottles, then filled with water and retreived the it. I am waiting for my thief to show up.

Alright, I'll be patient and wait until I have time to grab the wine thief. Thanks, guys. :) And the rush is just because it's my first batch. :D I figure two weeks in the primary when it's a light ale should be enough, but then again the garage is a little colder than I thought (60-65º F) so I wanted to be sure fermentation had stopped so I can still give it the full week to settle in the primary, followed by a week to settle in the keg.

Being in the profession I am, I have another solution. I use a 60cc Syringe (2 ounces) and a red rubber urinary catheter (never been used and sterile). That way, I can take off my airlock, pass the catheter through the small hole and collect a sample (or two). This means I don't have to take off the lid and I can significantly reduce contamination.

Being in the profession I am, I have another solution. I use a 60cc Syringe (2 ounces) and a red rubber urinary catheter (never been used and sterile). That way, I can take off my airlock, pass the catheter through the small hole and collect a sample (or two). This means I don't have to take off the lid and I can significantly reduce contamination.

what a wonderful idea....

Back