how long for oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
I have a big barleywine that i want to oak. How long should i let it sit for a nice solid oak flavor. Is there any problem with putting the oak chips in a half inch of water and boiling for 15 minuets to sanitize?

I've only used oak chips once, but from my experience I can say that 3 weeks is way too long. I used them in a stout and it was like drinking tree bark.

You could certainly sanitize them in boiling water, although I didn't. Some here have had good results soaking oak chips in liquor like bourbon.

After listening to the BrewStrong episode on Wood Ageing i learned that you should sanitize them in boiling water and pull so beer out every week or so to taste how much oak flavor you need. Taste it about every 5-7 days until its done

I made a tea once and it was wicked strong at first but mellowed after a few months.

I have a big barleywine that i want to oak. How long should i let it sit for a nice solid oak flavor. Is there any problem with putting the oak chips in a half inch of water and boiling for 15 minuets to sanitize?

I followed the advice in a recent issue of Zymurgy & steamed them in the microwave to sanitize the cubes..threw both the oaky water and cubes into the carboy and racked my beer on to that. I wanted a very faint oak flavor and took very small samples over the course of a few weeks until it reached the desired point.

I oaked my Barleywine with 1 oz of oak chips which I soaked in bourbon for a week before putting into the secondary and racking onto them for 2 weeks back in April. Opened the first bottle 2-3 weeks back (aged 4.5-5 months) and it was a little strong on the oak flavor still but pretty good. I think the beer itself needed to age a little more though and that would mellow the oak as well.

What sort of oak chips are you using? Raw or lightly charred oak gives a resiny, tannic aroma and flavor that can quickly overwhelm even the most robust barleywine. Charred oak or oak that has been used previously can give more subdued flavors. Whatever you do, you need to keep a careful eye on the beer.

TL

Latest posts

Back