Mini Mash Ed Wort's Haus Pale - Newbie Questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm a newbie. I've done a bunch no-boil kit brews. And I want to do my first mini-mash.

The problem is that I don't have a big brew pot.

1.) Is the full boil necessary?
2.) Could I just add all the extract to a smaller pot and top up with water in the fermenter?
3.) Is it a better idea to maybe just boil the mini mash and add all my hops into that and then just add the DME in a separate pot in more water and not boil it?

Suggestions please?

Thank you!

Ed Wort's instructions are as follows:

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

1.) No, but you want to boil as much volume as you can possibly handle.
2.) Doing a split boil works fine, but it's not a good idea to boil extract that is too concentrated (i.e. not diluted with a sufficient amount of water). That'll result in darkening of the wort and melanoidin or even burned flavors that would be inappropriate for a pale ale
3.) DME should definitely be boiled to sanitize it.

Latest posts

Back