Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog-Brewery

Reaction score
I think nearly everyone here has seen the ads for Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber brown ale.

It certainly gets great reviews, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Here is the video from my brew day . . .

https://youtu.be/f6K4poyvU9k

Cheers,

Jim

That was my first brew. I missed my og somehow, for all I know I added too much water or didn't get all th extract. It was tasty and I'll probably brew an all grain version sometime.

Most of us have probably made it in some fashion. I've made it twice; once extract with specialty and once all-grain. Got me thinking; probably about time to make it again. Good beer for when you're wanting something a little darker in the summertime, when a stout is just too much.

I just made a batch a couple weeks ago with WLP028, what yeast did you use in your batch?

What yeast did you use in your batch?

I decided to stick to what Northern Brewer had selected as the "default" yeast for this recipe. It was Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast.

What was odd about the fermentation was that if you watch the very end of the video there was CO2 cranking out of the blow off tube . . . 2 days later and it was down to 1 bubble a minute with nothing moving around inside the fermenter

I did use a starter, so maybe the yeasties completed their job very quickly.

Today is 1 week so I'll probably pull a sample and check it again on week 2.

Cheers,

Jim

Good beer for when you're wanting something a little darker in the summertime, when a stout is just too much.

I'm not entirely a seasonal brewer. So your idea sounds perfect.

I would love to have an ice cold stout or a porter on a nice summer day if they weren't so heavy on the "mouth feel".

Cheers,
Jim

Really enjoyed watching your video and look forward to you posting your follow up to the Caribou Slobber. :fro:

Nice set up also!

Really enjoyed watching your video and look forward to you posting your follow up to the Caribou Slobber. Nice set up also!

Thanks Chuckwagon !

I will definitely post a follow up. Especially because I am so curious to see how this beer lives up to all of the recommendations.

It really sounds like the perfect middle ground between an ale and a porter on days where you can't make up your mind of what to pour !

Cheers,

Jim

Back