Lighter Beers Turning Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackey73

Reaction score
So, for years I've had no drama brewing quality IPA's and other beers in the lighter color category. After I moved it's been nothing but drama. When brewing with filtered tap water my beers have a nasty bite to them. So I ordered a water report from Ward Labs.

NA: 41
CA: 30
MG: 8
CaC03: 108
S04: 9
Cl: 34
HC03: 166

So I assumed this was due to the hardness and bicarbonate. So I've tried brewing with just distilled (w/gypsum and calc chloride) and 80% distilled and 20% tap..etc(using the brewers friend calc). Seems anytime I use distilled my lighter beers turn brown. Not sure the science behind it but I assume it's the water as my amber colored beers look great.

Any ideas?

IMG_3577.jpg

Can you give us the recipe, process, etc for the beer in the picture? It definitely looks pretty brown.

Oxidation, LME, old DME, change of brands, alkalinity, lots of possible but without more to go on it's hard to make any guesses.

Can you give us the recipe, process, etc for the beer in the picture? It definitely looks pretty brown.

Oxidation, LME, old DME, change of brands, alkalinity, lots of possible but without more to go on it's hard to make any guesses.

It's a Pliny clone.. so 2-row, c40, carapils and corn sugar. Brewed with different systems, same result. 10 gallon kettle, cooler for mash tun, glass carboy... etc. Brewed a mini batch on a Zymatic... same result.

Brews with more roasted malts seem to clear out fine. Could pH be an issue?

And do you treat for chlorine/chloramines?

If he's using 80% distilled and 20% tap then I doubt chlorine or chloramine would be an issue (I read on arrowheads website a while back that they filter the water prior to distilling which is apparently a common practice for distilled water).

It's a Pliny clone.. so 2-row, c40, carapils and corn sugar. Brewed with different systems, same result. 10 gallon kettle, cooler for mash tun, glass carboy... etc. Brewed a mini batch on a Zymatic... same result.

Brews with more roasted malts seem to clear out fine. Could pH be an issue?

Did you have control over the malt choices or was it bought as a kit? Just trying to rule out some obvious mistake.

Certainly pH, and alkalinity, play a factor over final beer color. Kai Troester and MDixon have both showed the effect of high pH effects on color of steeped solutions (mash in the former case, tea in the latter), and the difference in color is pretty remarkable. I'm trying to find the Kai post I've read but here's the MDixon/Accidentalis post:
http://accidentalis.com/archives/tag/alkalinity

Did you have control over the malt choices or was it bought as a kit? Just trying to rule out some obvious mistake.

Certainly pH, and alkalinity, play a factor over final beer color. Kai Troester and MDixon have both showed the effect of high pH effects on color of steeped solutions (mash in the former case, tea in the latter), and the difference in color is pretty remarkable. I'm trying to find the Kai post I've read but here's the MDixon/Accidentalis post:
http://accidentalis.com/archives/tag/alkalinity

It was not part of a kit. Thanks, I'll read that article.

Update: So I forgot I bottled a single bottle of this same batch. It turned out fine... so something in my kegging process perhaps.

Update: So I forgot I bottled a single bottle of this same batch. It turned out fine... so something in my kegging process perhaps.

That's very interesting. Keep us posted if you figure out anything conclusive.

I've heard and experienced oxidation in my hoppy beers make them turn darker. How is the flavor, do you detect any staleing or cardboard flavors?

Latest posts

Back