Glass vs. PET bottles on long term (1 yr.) storage.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
I started brewing (again) about 18+ months ago. I recently tried 2 brews that I'd brewed awhile ago. A "Fire in the Hole" chile beer, bottled 11/16/10 and tonight, an AHS Winter Warmer that I bottled, 1/18/11. Both were kinda flat, but the WW had deteriorated in to a sour/bitter mess. The WW had coriander nutmeg and mace for the winter spices.
Austin Homebrew Supply
Is it just that PET bottles aren't any good for storage over 8 months? Other than that I love using the PET bottles.

they must not be. I only ever use glass but it sounds like the pet bottles aren't as airtight as we may think

An addition to this, I tried a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout clone I brewed last St. Paddy's day. Also flat....:(

I use PET bottles all the time, but never long term. Plastic containers breath. I guess would be a good term. To bad about the brew, Maybe try to re prime? ?????? I wonder if that would work.:confused:

Even Cooper's says the PET bottles shouldn't be used for long term storage. 8 Months maximum. Their PET bottles have a coating on the inside to help stop o2 leaching. But still need to use glass for long term storage. That's the word from them.

Latest posts

Back