How long is to long in a Primary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ply318ci

Reaction score
Hello, complete nooby here and I have a question about my first brew. Due to unforeseen circumstances I will not be able to get my first brew (A summer wheat) out of the Primary Fermenter and on to the bottle conditioning stage for another 2 weeks. The problem is it has been in the primary as is now for the last 3 weeks, so is 5 weeks in the primary to long or am I ok? I would hate to have my first batch ruined. Thanks.

lots of people will give you different answers but, I've left plenty of beers in the primary for 5 weeks and never had a problem. I prefer to leave it in the primary that long because it really cleans up the beer.

I've left beers in primary for up to eight weeks with no off-flavors. You'll be fine. I generally enjoy wheat beers 'fresher' than most others but I don't think you'll get any off-flavors.

Latest posts

Back