Confused....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metsbrew

Reaction score
I made a blonde Belgian last Saturday, Og was 1.068. Air lock started bubling by Sunday am, went real hard for A few days until it almost stopped. Just went to check on it and the air lock was clogged like it was going blow up any minute. Is this normal, I've never had this happen this late before I kept it right around 70 the whole time.

It is very common if you do not leave enough headspace. If you have a bucket that is very full it is best to use a blow off hose until the initial bubbling cools down. Then it is safe to switch to an airlock.

Wait until you see what the bottom of your bucket lid looks like. You are lucky it didn't blow!

While my current batch was going through initial primary ferment,the Cooper's FV was creaking like an old wooden sailing ship! About the 4th day,the airlock I thought was plugged with krausen started going off like a machine pistol.
The small starter I made worked a lil too well,I guess. But it's coming out fantastic! It's getting bottled Sunday after a 1 week dry hop. So don't worry,it happens.

Update... this.morning, day 6 of ferment the blow off tube i added was clogged. Is it possible this thing is still going this hard afted going hard right away, then coming to a complete stop?

I am at work now so I don't have my notes, but....

The beer I am drinking now was slow to start at three days and bubbled for ten days

Update... this.morning, day 6 of ferment the blow off tube i added was clogged. Is it possible this thing is still going this hard afted going hard right away, then coming to a complete stop?

I think so. My current batch took 3 weeks to get down to FG. About 4 days of krausen pushing on the lid type of activity. Then it slowed down for the long haul. So it isn't stopped,it's just slow after initial ferment. That's fairly typical. Let the yeast have all the time it wants. You'll thank them later,trust me.

Back