AHS delivery times..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Hey guys I ordered some stuff from AHS on Sunday night and the website said that you could track the package once it goes out. Three days later it still says processed and shipping soon (Same thing from Mon)

I live in the 2 day area via UPS so I was just curious what their normal delivery/service was like.

I'm not overly concerned about this but I did want to brew this weekend and I guess I am a little concerned about whether the yeast will survive the trip or not. My local store has a really poor liquid yeast selection.

Thanks,
Alan W

Well I live in Las Vegas. My liqiud yeast was dead, and I even oredered the ice pack. Better have a back-up :eek:. They are good on delivery times. Last time I didn't get the confirmation email with the UPS tracking number on it. Just call the shipping department. Mark is the big man around the shipping department I think, but anybody can probably help you. Just tell them the situation, have your order # handy, and they'll be able to give you the UPS tracking number for it.

Hope that helped!

RDWHAHB!

I have never had any issues with shipping. They are always pretty quick. It isn't the best time of year to be ordering cold yeast, even with the ice pack. Having said that I have placed several orders this summer and even when arriving warm I was able to revive them easily with starters.

dale

I just placed an order on the 16th, it shipped on the 17th and I am now at the mercy of UPS...which is basically like trying to be comfortable on a bed of nails ;) I don't bother shipping liquid this time of year from any one and get it from my lhbs.

it may take longer if you request them to make up a custom grain recipe (like 2-3 days to get it out sometimes). a simpler order shipped out same day.

but this is just one data point so i may be full of it.

jbford said:
it may take longer if you request them to make up a custom grain recipe (like 2-3 days to get it out sometimes). a simpler order shipped out same day.

but this is just one data point so i may be full of it.

My order above is 2 custom milled AG orders and a bunch of different hops...YMMV.

Edit: I should add that I have had other orders take a few days when they are particularly busy or I have ordered on a night before a holiday, ect..

AHS in my experience takes their sweet time. I just love when I place an order on fri. and it does not ship out till the next fri. So instead of getting to me the next day it sits on a UPS truck for the weekend and I get it on Monday.

AHS has done reasonably well for me with the single exception of my last order. They had a big sale, weren't prepared for the response, and their shipping department got backed up. Like Talley experienced, my yeast didn't make the trip very well. I thought I managed to revive them, but my lager fermentation appears to be stuck at the moment. Not sure what I'm gonna do about that batch yet.

My record with them so far:

First Order
order placed 6-22-07
order received 6-29-07

Second Order
order placed 7-3-07
order received 7-11-07

Third Order
order placed 7-6-07
order received 7-13-07

Fourth Order
order placed 7-16-07
received confirmation email, but not able to track shipment yet.

I always do the 5.99 flat rate shipping.

My first order was a Nut Brown Ale Kit. During shipping the lid on the extract bucket had popped up and spilled extract all over. I didn't lose enough to affect my recipe, so I used it. I still called to let them know what happened. they gave me half off of my next kit(order # 3).

Second order was 3 glass carboys, Star-San and a few misc items. Everything was in order.

Third order was good as well. They put tape on top of the extract bucket this time, and it worked.

Awaiting fourth order.

:drunk:

Talley it looks like their averaging about a week to Vegas from TX and I'm about an equal distance the opposite way so I may be looking at next week. If my yeast sits on a loading dock all weekend I think thats pretty darn sorry because they should ship it with the best chance for arriving alive. Hell you can order steaks from Omaha steaks and they'll get them to you frozen pretty much anywhere you want in the middle of Aug.

I guess I'll have to quit being cheap and pay for overnight shipping on the yeast next time. I can get every thing I need w/ the exception of yeast. My local hbs is very small and they only have three kinds of liquid yeast unless I special order it from them.

How's your hbs in Vegas? Surely a town that size would have a good local supply.

Ford, My order was a special grain order but very small, should'nt be a prob.

BTW I placed an order w/ homebrewery.com a few weeks ago and they were real quick. They are in MO so they are about the same distance from me as AHS. They even called me to ask me if i wanted to wait on shipping the yeast until monday so it would do better. Only one order from them but their batting 1000 in my book so far.

Regards,
Alan W

I'm surprised that HBS would ship yeast on a Friday. Man, if I ran a HBS, I would have a policy to ship liquid yeast on Mondays & Tuesdays only, PERIOD.

Our HBS is pathetic. Its an indoor gardening store (growing weed in your closet) with a shelf of home brew stuff. Some misc grain and DME, sugars, stoppers, airlocks, other misc brew stuff. They do have a cooler full of White Labs yeast though. But the guys who run it are retards. They bought the store from the old HBS guy, who actually brewed beer. The only thing these guys know about beer is what their customers tell them. :(

Sea said:
Try using dry yeast in the summer, if you don't have a decent LHBS to support.

Well I'm trying to brew a clone of what will be a pretty expensive batch and I don't want to cut corners on the yeast. If need be I'll just get it overnighted next time if the current order is DOA.

My LHBS is a nice "little" store and I've spent quite a bit of money in there but their selection is very limited. They can't afford to keep a lot of liquid yeast in stock or it will expire so they only keep California Ale, Irish Ale etc. Both of the guys that own it are super nice but they are both more into the wine making side than the brewing side.

I'm still holding out hope that my stuff from AHS will arrive tomorrow. If so I'll have at least an outside shot at reviving the yeast.

Talley, I'm surprised Vegas doesn't have a decent hbs. Sounds like a business opportunity for some savvy brewer!:mug:

Regards,
Alan W

GIusedtoBe said:
Talley, I'm surprised Vegas doesn't have a decent hbs. Sounds like a business opportunity for some savvy brewer!:mug:

Oh yeah, I've been toying around with the idea in my head. Maybe I'll bring it up at the next homebrew meeting. There's a club that gets together once a month out here called SNAFU (Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union). I couldn't do it on my own, I don't know enough. I know next to nothing about wine making. I don't know a lot about AG either. I would need a veteran to help me. Otherwise I'd be no better than the guys who run the store now.

EdWort said:
I'm surprised that HBS would ship yeast on a Friday. Man, if I ran a HBS, I would have a policy to ship liquid yeast on Mondays & Tuesdays only, PERIOD.

Yeah I wish AHS would stick to this. I try to order on Friday nights or Saturday, it gets filled and shipped Monday or Tuesday. Since it takes 4 days to get here if it is delayed at all I get nervous. My last shipment sat in Jackson, MS in May for the weekend, yeast did fine. I am pretty much going to do dry for the time being or see if I can get it locally.

Visited the Home Brewery store a few weeks ago. It is about 10 miles from Branson if you are into that stuff.

It is a nice store with a very clean packaging area.

How about opinions on Morebeer.com using their free shipping? I ordered on Tuesday of this week and it has been sitting on it's Origin scan since 6:17 on 7/17. It's UPS though and I have had times where nothing shows for a few days and then wham, it's in Indy. Hopefully this is the case because I'm itching to get my gear. Luckily, my LHBS carries a nice selection yeast so I only ordered Fermentation and bottling gear from them.

AHS must be backed up this week. I always order on a Saturday or Sunday and the order is out the door by Monday or Tuesday. This week they didn't even have it ready to ship until yesterday (Wednesday). It most definitely will sit in a UPS warehouse over the weekend. They are saying Monday delivery now.

I have had pretty good luck with Morebeer. One order on Sunday had it on wed. My next order was stupidly on a Thursday, but I still had it by Tue. I ordered two white labs with ice packs. When I received it the yeast was warm, but not hot. Used a starter and one of them is bubbing away as we speak. Given that it shipped from CA to Southern Utah in 100 plus temps that isn't too bad.

Matt Foley said:
I have had pretty good luck with Morebeer. One order on Sunday had it on wed. My next order was stupidly on a Thursday, but I still had it by Tue. I ordered two white labs with ice packs. When I received it the yeast was warm, but not hot. Used a starter and one of them is bubbing away as we speak. Given that it shipped from CA to Southern Utah in 100 plus temps that isn't too bad.

Southern Utah, much closer than Central Indiana. ;) I would really love to get my stuff by Saturday, but I doubt that will happen. The estimated arrival date is 7/24: Next Tuesday. =(

I usually order from thegrape.net
They are close (about an hour drive) so shipping is quick which means my yeast doesn't sit out as long. Every time I've ordered with them my shipment goes out the next morning (I usually order in the evening after hours). I receive my package the next business day. So I always make sure to place my orders before Wed night so my order does not sit over the weekend.
Plus they have always gotten my order correct even my last order which had 35 miscellaneous mostly small items. And they have an excellent selection.

Craig

Well I have to give kudos to AHS! The package actually arrived on Wed 7-18 but the %$#%$:mad: UPS dude put the box in my open garage and did'nt bother to knock on the door. It was amongst other boxes and was not noticed until my wife found it yesterday. Alls well that ends well since I smacked the yeast and its nice and swollen and ready for my starter.

Regards,
Alan W

Back