Montrachet yeast and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
I am a newb to brewing solo (I have brewed with my father who knows what he is doing), and I decided to give a go at Edwort's Apfelwein. I am a week into fermentation and never got a crazy amount of action in my airlock. It has been going at about the same rate since day 2. I am getting about 6 bubbles per minute. Is this usual with Montrachet? Is it not a voracious fermentor from the get go like a beer yeast?

I wouldn't worry about it. IMO Montrachet throws a crazy amount of sulfur (rhino farts) and takes forever to condition. I recommend using any ale yeast for any kind of cider instead. I like T-58 and S-04, but I've used a lot of wine yeasts, and lot of ale yeasts on ciders, and the ale yeasts have always turned out better, to me.

I will keep that in mind for my next cider. Thanks :) My main issue with a lot of these other types of yeast is cooling. I tried the swamp cooler but everything melts so damn quick here in Florida even with the AC on. I might have to wait till I get my keg freezer built. :/

Ferm temp is really crucial to making good homebrew. Some yeasts are more tolerant of high temp than others. Generally red wine yeasts do better at high temps, as do certain belgian yeasts. I found the Montrachet to throw too much sulfur at high temps (70*+). Cote des Blanc did better for me. But if you're fermenting over 80*, it'll take some time for the beverage to mellow out. Time smooths flavors, just like time smooths mountains. Sometimes it takes a while.

Back