1830 Brewery Book...cool stuff!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnyankee

Reaction score
I'm reading the Brewery Book from 1830. There's several recipes in the book (Devonshire White Ale, and one below which seems like real ginger ale:

An American Recipe To Make A Wholesome Cheap Drink, According to a Method used in Philadelphia

Take five pounds of molasses, half a pint of yeast, and a spoonful of powdered ginger; put these ingredients into your vessel, and pour on them two gallons of scalding hot, soft, and clear water; then shake them well together, till fermentation takes place, and then add thirteen gallons of the same water cold, to fill up your cask; let the liquor ferment about twelve hours; then bottle it off with a raisin or two in each bottle, and you will have an excellent and cheap table drink, fit for use in about a fortnight [14 days].

That sounds really cool. I like the idea of a raisin in each bottle. That is a cool novelty, at least for me. I've heard of peppers in bottles though. Are you going to soak the raisin's in vodka to sanitize them?

Take five pounds of molasses, half a pint of yeast, and a spoonful of powdered ginger; put these ingredients into your vessel, and pour on them two gallons of scalding hot, soft, and clear water;

I hope that the scolding hot water isnt poured into a glass carboy, that could have disastrous results.

That sounds really cool. I like the idea of a raisin in each bottle. That is a cool novelty, at least for me. I've heard of peppers in bottles though. Are you going to soak the raisin's in vodka to sanitize them?

I hope that the scolding hot water isnt poured into a glass carboy, that could have disastrous results.
Remember in those days, glass was not perfected; even window glass was put together in 12 over 12 (12 small squares of glass in the upper pane over 12 small squares of glass in the lower pane), 8 over 8, or 6 over 6 patterns. 4 over 4 pattern didn't occur until around the Civil War. Wooden casks were used; usually oak.

As for the recipe, I'm going to pare that down. Heck, it might not be drinkable for all I know. As for the raisins, I'm just going to drop them right in the bottle as is.

DY

Latest posts

Back