johnson controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeak

Reaction score
Hello all,
so i am wired up with the new johnson A419abc-1. I read and read last night on the set up of paramters from this site. lots of information and opinions.

I just want a working keezer with cold beer. I assume i want a set point of about 38-40 degrees. i want a differential of 10deg so the compressor doesnt run short cycles right? What do i make sure the jumpers are set at? cool cut in or cut out?

Just, can someone with a working keezer and johnson control tell me what they are using? i want to get home and plug the stuff in and set these numbers into the controller and get on with more important stuff like getting the next batch of grist ready for this weekend.

Thanks,
scott

I set my differential to 2deg and I don't think it runs to often. From what I have learned from others 2 to 4deg seems to be the norm.

Cheers

I left mine jumpered with the factory defaults.
Cut-in. And I also left the differential alone at the default of 5°.
When the temp rises to the set point, the contacts will close (assuming you wired it for normally open) and the temperature will drop to the set point minus the differential (set point - 5° in my case and default cases). At that point the contacts will open and shut the compressor off.

The controller has a default 1 minute short cycle delay. That will prevent compressor damage. It is adjustable.

hth

I run mine at 39 degrees with a differential of 3 degrees. Works great, doesn't run too often and is very economical in its energy usage.

A differential of 10 degrees is too high, IMO. Chest freezers are very well insulated so you won't be cycling too often.

I set the short cycle delay to the max (12 min?) and have a 2F differential. But a lot depends on what you do with the temp probe. If it is hanging in the air, immersed in liquid or taped to the side of the keg, it will effect the settings to make it all work right. :confused:

+1 on samc

Making the differential small and upping the short cycle delay seems to be more in keeping with concept of steady temperature without stressing the compressor.

well whatever gentlemen...
we got it all working. simple controls. this thing came set up for cooling and i just wanted someones perspective on a sucessful set up.. i am enjoying my evening by myself...and that is ok. thank you all for your input. my wife is working a 48 and i had time to get this **** rocking and i got some cold homebrew. i transferred a porter earlier this eve. that might be ready to sample by the weekends end. i am going to see if my LHB store has another keg available... plus i need some more nottingham. thank you guys for your input. but i have to say... the johnson controller set up from the factory with respect to the pins was set for cooling. i dont give a **** about its range. i just wanted to be able to make my freezer into a keezer. we got it man. i need to go get some good water tomorrow so i can brew on sunday. thank you guys for your input on the settings. cheers, scott.

Latest posts

Back