Green Beer Flavor Shift??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
I know... Its green, but still, I took gravity last nite and there was a shift to a poor taste I wasnt expecting, here's the skinny

Recipe: Dunkel
5gal
30 min steep at 154*
60 min boil
20 min Wort Cool
pitch at 65*
OG = 1.058
Lag approx 12hrs
Primary Ferm approx 96hrs
average ferm temp 69*
average ambient temp 65*

6lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
8oz Caramunich
4oz Pale Chocolate
4oz Carafa Special II
1oz perle (45 min boil)
T-58 Strain

2-7-12 SG = 1.023
Green beer with obvious alcohol flavor, wonderful notes of toffee and caramel with a slight coffee nose sample taken at 69*F

2-10-12 SG = 1.019
Green Beer with very pronounced high esters, desired flavors have fallen off, sample at 69* Chilled down to 45* for a second taste, esters noticeable (green apple-ish) but less pronounced with the after taste of the darker flavors coming through.

Its young, and I know I cant judge the final product on 13 day old wort, but in 3 days a drop of .004 changing the flavor profiles so dramatically was a serious surprise, what gives? im obviously letting it sit atleast another 7-10 before considering bottles.

Your doing fine, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. The last half of fermentation is to let the yeast clean up after themselves, which include those esters.

A good rule of thumb. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, 2 weeks in the bottle, or 4 weeks primary, 2 weeks in the bottle and it can still be a little green. I know its hard but you gotta have patience. You have to let it ferment and then condition.

Im not gonna secondary here its not necessary, and my lower OG beers are usually done done in about 15-18 days, and perfectly drinkable at 14 days bottled, by 3 weeks in bottles the flavors TOTALLY take off.... I said the beer is green, Not Me haha. Ive just never had SUCH a huge flavor shift in 3 days, especially for the worse

Latest posts

Back